Software compensation for skew in a gantry setup

More
20 Apr 2015 22:58 #57941 by lerneaen_hydra
Hey all,

I've got a gantry system (used as for a laser cutter) where I've got a residual skew that I'd prefer not to remove on the gantry beam. This means that an attempt to cut a square would result in a parallelogram. I would like compensate for this in software, preferably in a way that would still allow me to use the stable branch in the APT repositories (which, AFAIK, means I can't use a custom kinematics setup).

As the compensation I'm aiming for is something on the order of;
Z_new = Z_old
Y_new = Y_old
X_new = X_old + k*Y_old

for small values of k (on the order of 1/200) using machine coordinates, I was thinking that this *could* be fixed in a relatively crude way by hijacking my commanded output/stepgen input;

net xpos-cmd axis.0.motor-pos-cmd => stepgen.0.position-cmd

with a suitable conversion (as well as handling the position feedback similarly). Does anyone here know of a cleaner/better way of solving my situation? Again, keep in mind I'd really like to be able to use the distributed package in the stable repository, so (afaik) I won't be able to define a custom kinematics setup (as AFAIK this can't be loaded into an existing linuxcnc binary).

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2015 03:43 #57950 by andypugh

which, AFAIK, means I can't use a custom kinematics setup

You can do it with kinematics, and there is an existing kinematics module for just this situation.

It isn't installed by default, but you can add it (and the updater should ignore it as it won't "see" it).

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Contri...omponents#Kinematics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds