Proof reader for a series of tutorials

More
27 Apr 2015 22:51 #58165 by JoeHildreth
Hello all,

I have been building a new gantry style CNC Router and posting the build on my website. Now that the basic machine is done, I am starting to add features to the machine to make it safer and more usable. I am developing a series of tutorials on how to add these things to LinuxCNC (as I figure them out myself) The goal of these tutorials is to give the very new user of LinuxCNC a grasp on how things can be configured and set up. As I complete each section of the tutorial, I would like someone to take a look at them to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I start making videos and a lot of screen shots. If your interested or willing to look at the information and verify the correctness of it, I would appreciate it and give you credit for helping with it.

If you think you would have time and would want to participate, please post here or email me to either of the following addresses: I just ask that you put LinuxCNC Tutorials in the subject so that I don't miss your email.

xavier at gtec dot com

or

joeh at threerivershospital dot com

Alternatively, I can post parts of the tutorials here and the community can critique as needed.

Regards,

Joe
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2015 17:44 #58262 by pippin88
I'm happy to contribute.

I've done a couple of guides myself at 7xcnc.com/software/

I think posting for general contributions could be worth while, even if it is done at a final proof stage - to make sure there are no errors that the more experienced users might spot.

More
01 May 2015 03:11 #58283 by JoeHildreth
pippin88,

I have your site in my reference list. Particularly for the O code information.

I am essentially redoing what you and others have done, but I want to delve a little deeper into how things are configured. My goal is to eventually do several others including PID controller for the router, home and limit switches, vacuum control. I am thinking if the tutorial covers the details a little more they can make the leap to the next thing that they want to do or add to their machine a little easier.

I hope you find imitation a form of flattery ... :-D

If you are still interested, shoot me an email and I will send you an outline of what I would like to do. Perhaps we can partner up on it. I plan on doing both written and video tutorials on it.

Thank you for your interest!

Joe

More
02 May 2015 04:50 #58309 by pommen
Hello!

This seems like just the thing I need. I installed and started tinkering with LinuxCNC yesterday, and I must admit to being more than a little confused. I dont think I can proofread as such, seeing as im a complete newb to both LinuxCNC and linux as OS, but perhaps I can contribute by testing?

/Peter

More
04 May 2015 23:27 #58379 by JoeHildreth
Peter,

That would be great. Don't feel bad about having a hard time wrapping your head around all this stuff. There are loads to learn and I think it really does take a long time to master it all.

For example, I wired my electronics drawer thinking, MAN, "ain't she purdy"!!! Only to find out as I am writing these tutorials that I really did a poor job of wiring the thing up. So, I am currently waiting on some new stuff to rewire by cabinet.

This first group of tutorials are on hold until I have that complete, but the end product will be some guidelines that I will pass along to the rest of us newbies, so that maybe they don't fall in the same trap that I did.

As far as testing, that would be great! As a community, if we pull together, we can end up with a wonderful controller system, great documentation and some tutorials for the new guys and gals to get their feet wet. (That was my opinion by the way, not a paid announcement) :laugh:

Keep an eye on this thread and I will post updates here.

Regards,

Joe

More
05 May 2015 03:18 #58386 by Todd Zuercher
I wouldn't have said that your wiring was that bad, You just made the rookie mistake of not adequately protecting some noise vulnerable signals. Simply separating your low voltage signal wires from the power and motor wiring, might have been enough to get your machine working (but properly shielding them is always better).

More
05 May 2015 04:05 - 05 May 2015 04:06 #58387 by JoeHildreth
Well Todd, thanks for making me feel a little better.

I agree it was a rookie mistake. I am mostly done with my draft for the wiring tutorial. Unfortunately, it may be a little limiting due to the equipment that I am hooking up. I have a stepper system running off the parallel port. Will make use of limit switches and some relays for vacuum and a closed loop controller for the router. But as for the big boy stuff, like spindles, tool changers, servo systems it probably won't be much use. But the other side of the coin, I think most people who are just getting into it start off similar to what I have.

So what would be the best way to do this, post my draft of the information in this thread and let folks comment on it? Or a link to a PDF of it and just have people comment on it?

It would be nice to get it to a point that it can be posted on the Wiki or something.

Joe
Last edit: 05 May 2015 04:06 by JoeHildreth.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds