Installing downloaded software

More
16 Jan 2016 03:44 #68513 by mstrick96
I am a Linux and linuxcnc newbie. Am getting familiar with both and plan to build a cnc router. Lots to learn!

I obtained an old Pentium4 computer and have successfully loaded Linux CNC 2.7 Debian wheezy on it. I am not so successfully trying to install other software such as TeamViewer software on this system. I can use Synaptic to install repository software but am unable to figure out how to install a downloaded .deb file.

How do I install a downloaded package onto this system? Have tried the Synaptic Package manager but can't sort out how to select the TeamViewer downloaded package.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2016 10:56 #68519 by andypugh
The Synaptic GUI typically installs the software for you, rather than you having to download then manually install.
Similarly, at the command-line
sudo apt-get --install somepackage
will automatically download and install the package and it's dependencies.

If you have a .deb file then you need the command
sudo dpkg -i /path/to/deb.deb
The following user(s) said Thank You: mstrick96

More
16 Jan 2016 14:01 #68523 by mstrick96
Thanks, Andy,
That helps. I used the command line to find and attempt the install of my .deb file. It went through the steps but then failed due to a missing dependency. I'll try that again and will use the apt-get to find and install the dependency first.

I was successful with the Synaptic at installing packages that are in its repository. I couldn't find Team Viewer though. Is it possible to use Synaptic to install a downloaded .deb file?

More
16 Jan 2016 14:17 - 16 Jan 2016 14:18 #68524 by ArcEye
Team Viewer requires quite a few packages, albeit some should already exist

In a terminal run
sudo apt-get install -y libc6 libgcc1 libasound2 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libjpeg62 libpng12-0 libsm6 libxdamage1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxinerama1 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxtst6 zlib1g

Then run
sudo dpkg -i /path/to/deb.deb
again

You could try to install via synaptic, but setting it up to install from a static location rather than a repo, is not as easy as just doing the above

regards
Last edit: 16 Jan 2016 14:18 by ArcEye.

More
16 Jan 2016 15:11 #68526 by cncbasher
to install teamviewer download
download.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_i386.deb
then from a terminal run
dpkg -i teamviewer_linux.deb

More
16 Jan 2016 15:27 #68528 by ArcEye

to install teamviewer download
download.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_i386.deb
then from a terminal run
dpkg -i teamviewer_linux.deb

The point is that dpkg will not install dependencies.

Either you pre-install all the dependencies from the control file as per my last post, or you try running
sudo apt-get -f install
and hopefully apt-get will resolve the missing dependencies.

I prefer a bit of certainty, 'sudo apt-get -f install' can on occasions do some very funny things, removing all sorts of packages you want because they are listed in dependencies of a package it has replaced etc.

More
16 Jan 2016 20:03 #68535 by mstrick96
Good information from everyone! Thanks.

I was not aware that installing non-repository packages with Synaptic was that much more difficult. I'll use the command line approach.

One other question that this brings up,mthough, is how can I find the list of dependencies for a given package? If apt-get doesn't always resolve the dependencies very well, it seems that it would be less trouble to just list the dependencies in the dpkg command as you suggest.

More
17 Jan 2016 01:46 #68551 by mstrick96
OK. I researched the dependencies question and found that I can use

# apt-cache depends teamviewer

to find the package dependencies.

Will study apt-get and dpkg more.

Thanks all!

More
17 Jan 2016 02:41 #68555 by mozmck
I believe the program gdebi is available in wheezy. You can install that through synaptic, then you can open a .deb file with gdebi and it will install it including downloading all necessary dependencies.

If you go to the file properties for any .deb file in the file manager you can set gdebi to be the default program to open .deb files, and then you can just double-click them to open in gdebi and then install.

More
17 Jan 2016 03:01 #68556 by mstrick96
Thanks! I found a site that describes how to download and use gdebi to do that.

Sounds useful!

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds