Need help with C41 PWM HAL

More
07 Mar 2016 01:58 #71131 by rreddy2go
Thanks a ton. It will now start without any error messages. I can issue an M3S5000 & the relay lights up & the output shows 10 volts. However, there is no change in the output voltage when I change the spindle speed. It stays the same until I issue an M5 then the relay shuts off & the output voltage drops to .71 I'm sure I've left something out that controls this.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2016 13:22 #71153 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Need help with C41 PWM HAL
You don't appear to be setting the pwm frequency?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rreddy2go

More
10 Mar 2016 04:26 #71311 by rreddy2go
Well, I've made another attempt at solving this issue...no joy. I have added the pwm frequency, but there is still no effect on the output voltage when I change spindle speeds.. Something critical is being omitted. I'm still trying to make sense out of it all.
-Jon

More
10 Mar 2016 11:49 #71326 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Need help with C41 PWM HAL
You could set up hal WATCH and select all the pins that are being used for the spindle. Then apply the signal spindle on and vary the rpm to see that the proper results are taking place in hal and if there is a problem there.

Rick G

More
11 Mar 2016 02:35 #71374 by rreddy2go
Thanks rick,
I was able to determine that I had a bad wire connection. With that resolved, I'm able to get the correct output from the C41 when an M3 is issued. 10v @ 5000 RPM, 5v @ 2500 etc. My only concern is that when I issue an M5, I would expect that the output would drop to 0v, but it only drops to .70v. I'm reluctant to actually connect the spindle control board until I'm sure that everything is correct.
-Jon
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2016 10:02 #71384 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Need help with C41 PWM HAL

, I would expect that the output would drop to 0v, but it only drops to .70v. I'm reluctant to actually connect the spindle control board until I'm sure that everything is correct.

That is most likely to be hardware rather than software, and it is possible that it will drop all the way to zero when the spindle controller is attached.
Typically you have a separate output to turn the spindle on and off, often a relay. Is that working? If so then you will have a spindle that will stop, but won't do a speed less than 350rpm. Depending on the drive (does it actually make any torque at 350 rpm?) that might be OK.

More
11 Mar 2016 14:42 #71405 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Need help with C41 PWM HAL

My only concern is that when I issue an M5, I would expect that the output would drop to 0v, but it only drops to .70v. I'm reluctant to actually connect the spindle control board until I'm sure that everything is correct.

If you are using a relay to activate the spindle on / off, forward / reverse then as long as the relay is working the spindle should stop, VFD's often have different settings to select the logic.

Rick G

More
12 Mar 2016 22:29 #71516 by rreddy2go
Thanks for all of your help with this. It has been a true learning experience. i was able to reduce the minimum speed pot on the spindle board until the spindle stopped when M5 was issued. Everything is working now. Just need to tweak it a bit.
Jon R

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds