LinuxCNC as 4th axis indexer controller

More
06 Apr 2016 12:12 #72843 by owen
I want to control my old Tormach 4th axis with my Haas super mini mill but I can't afford a $10,000 4th axis. My plan is to trigger the 4th axis from Mcodes on the Haas and have the 4th index for every trigger like a standalone indexer would then send a signal back to the Haas that the motion is complete. I would write a gcode program on the linux cnc controller that waits for the Mcode from the Haas then moves to it's next position and then send a confirmation signal. I'm new to linux CNC so I wanted to ask if this would be possible before I do further research in setting it up. Additionally I would want an encoder attached to the 4th axis table that would confirm it moved to the correct position. Anyone done something similar to this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2016 12:57 #72846 by andypugh
This sounds more like a job for an Arduino. Especially if the Tormach 4th-axis is stepper-driven.

More
06 Apr 2016 14:24 #72849 by owen
I had thought about that but it seamed like it would be more complicated than setting up linuxcnc. I think it would take a long time to make the arduino controller have a user friendly interface for setting up an indexer job. To me the idea writing a simple gcode file with my angular moves sounds simpler.

More
06 Apr 2016 14:38 #72851 by andypugh

I think it would take a long time to make the arduino controller have a user friendly interface for setting up an indexer job. .

I was anticipating that there wouldn't need to be a GUI, as the Haas would do all the communication.

But, if the Haas can only send a pulse, it would be relatively easy to use a switch connected to Arduino GPIO to choose 45, 10, 5, 3, 2, 1 degree indexing intervals.

More
06 Apr 2016 14:49 #72854 by owen
unfortunately unless I spend $2700 on the macros option I can't send the moves over the rs232 port. If I could send the data over rs232 then I would opt for building my own controller. I was under the impression that that I could set up a simple Linuxcnc computer that has an input signal from the haas to trigger a move and an output to the haas after the move. From reading some of the Linuxcnc documentation this seams to be within it's capability without writing any custom code right? I just want to start the linuxcnc program before the haas program and have it wait for the mcode signal before it makes any moves. I'm not sure I see what would make the arduino easier considering that I would have to write the code.

More
06 Apr 2016 15:01 #72855 by andypugh

I was under the impression that that I could set up a simple Linuxcnc computer that has an input signal from the haas to trigger a move and an output to the haas after the move.

Yes you almost certainly can. It just seems a lot of computing hardware just for an indexer.

From reading some of the Linuxcnc documentation this seams to be within it's capability without writing any custom code right?

Yes, a simple G-code sub with wait-on-input watching a GPIO pin trihhered by the HAAS.

I just want to start the linuxcnc program before the haas program and have it wait for the mcode signal before it makes any moves. I'm not sure I see what would make the arduino easier considering that I would have to write the code.

The Arduino could just sit in the controller box and not need a GUI, monitor, power supply, hard-drive.... or any further interaction.

How many digital outputs does the HAS have? You could have it pulse one output for 1 degree and another for 10 degrees. (and maybe a third for reverse rotation)

More
07 Apr 2016 19:31 #72927 by bevins
Why not use beaglebone black running linuxcnc.

Time to create page: 0.406 seconds