Other supported versions of Ubtuntu

More
07 Apr 2016 00:24 #72884 by Waltron45
Good evening all,
First let me start off by introducing myself as I am new to this forum. My name is Walter and I have been operating CNC's for a few years now (HAAS). The question I have is, are there any other supported versions of Ubuntu for LinuxCNC? I first booted my computer with the live CD of LinuxCNC 2.4(I think) and Ubuntu 10.04, having been told that 10.04 was the only version that supported LinuxCNC. I wanted to update to 2.6 and then 2.7, however my computer is having mad problems connecting to the internet, both wired and wireless so I went and asked the Ubuntu forums what I could do. They told me to update to 12.04 and then go through the process of getting LinuxCNC by the instructions on this site, however my computer still will not be able to connect to the internet which is what the problem was from the start. My second question I have is: is there any possible way I could get 2.7 without using the internet ?. The reason I am trying to go through this is when I am trying to configure my 5i25 /7i76, It is not recognizing that there is such a card set and thought it would be a good idea to install the new version and update. I apologize if this seems very jumbled up or confusing. I appreciate all the help I can get! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2016 11:46 - 07 Apr 2016 12:32 #72902 by Todd Zuercher
The simplest way to install 2.7 without the internet is to install from the current live ISO. Requires a DVD or usb, it doesn't fit on a CD, But this uses Debian Wheezy for the Linux OS not Ubuntu.

I think setting up Linuxcnc on an Ubuntu version newer than 10.04 without an internet connection would be difficult. (It isn't really a simple task with internet.)

I don't think updating a LInuxcnc 2.4(or 2.5 or 2.6) Ubuntu 10.04 install to 2.7 is all that hard either. You would need to down load the debs somewhere and install them from other media (I've never done this so don't know the exact instructions.)
Last edit: 07 Apr 2016 12:32 by Todd Zuercher. Reason: fix double negative (bad grammar)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Waltron45

More
07 Apr 2016 12:03 #72903 by andypugh
Can you tell us what the current situation is? What OS is installed, what kernel and what LinuxCNC version?

Then we can figure out the next steps.

More
07 Apr 2016 12:07 #72905 by BigJohnT
Download the deb and install it to get 2.7.4.

Deb's are located here for Ubuntu 10.04
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/lucid/2.7-rt/binary-i386/

Install a deb with:
sudo dpkg -i filename.deb
changing filename to the actual file name.

JT

More
10 Apr 2016 00:12 #73019 by Waltron45
After talking with a few people, I just went to Debian Wheezy instead. I was told it would be easier just to get it over with by going this route. I was told when starting off that the only OS that would run LinuxCNC is Ubuntu 10.04 which turns out to not be true. I appreciate all of the replies and help!

More
10 Apr 2016 12:15 #73044 by BigJohnT
I find that Debian is anything but easy to use and prefer to use Ubuntu 10.04 or LinuxMint 17.3. I have 2 CNC machines running Ubuntu 10.04 with LinuxCNC 2.7.4.

JT

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds