Config for MicroProto Systems (Taig) Mill

More
08 Apr 2016 21:12 #72979 by dirkus
I have a MicroProto Systems mini mill that I bought 11 years ago. It uses an OLD DOS program to control the mill.

I would like to use LinuxCNC to control the mill, but I am having problems figuring out how to configure it. The controller box is connected to the computer by a parallel port cable. The controller box has XYZA axis outputs. I am only using XYZ.

I have tried starting with some config files that I found on this forum.

My problem is that the mill does not run as I would expect it to. The steppers seem to jitter back and forth and does not seem to jog or run as I would expect it to. I am missing something here and would like to know how to really start setting up my mill to work with LinuxCNC.

Thanks!

Dirk
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2016 01:10 #72982 by Todd Zuercher
There are lots of possible things that could be wrong. It sounds a little like you might have the step and directions pins swapped. (stepping on the dir pin and dir on the step input) What exactly was the old DOS software? Did you try to mine the old DOS config files for the proper settings to use with Linuxcnc?

Some old DOS machines I've converted used rather odd pin outs for the parallel port.

More
09 Apr 2016 10:57 #72997 by BigJohnT
Are you getting any latency errors? Did you check latency? If not press Ctrl Alt t to open a terminal and type in latency-histogram and let that run for a while. Do you have the step and direction times for the drive? Start with your own configuration generated by the Stepconf Wizard. I see in the taig config that the parallel port pins are inverted, this may be wrong for your drive.

JT

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds