Buzzing sound when moving gantry

More
15 Jun 2016 17:49 #76113 by spaceghost
I recently build a MPCNC machine (www.vicious1.com) and am using a 3-axis TB6600 CNC Driver board and 17 NEMA motors. There is not buzzing or other noise when the motors are idle but powered on. When the machine moves at a higher speed to home there isn't any unwanted noise. When the machine starts running the routing path there is a fair amount of buzzing or vibrating noise coming from the machine. Its hard for me to tell if its coming from the motors or some other part of the machine. Here is a link to a video of this operation: tinypic.com/r/bhax4y/9. Here is a screen shot of the LinuxCNC settings for one of the X-axis: imgur.com/9J3PLAh.

While the video quality isn't great, you can probably notice that there is very little bad noise when the machine if homing or picking up the pen to move to another location, its just when the machine is running the routing path that the noise happens. In the video the pen is not touching the table so I can rule out pen to table vibrations. When I did do actual drawing they can out great and with good dimensionality.

I did try turning down the driver current to the lowest the machine would operate and that seemed to help a little bit. Has anyone run into this kind of problem before? Because this machine uses timing belts I had to do some calculations to find setting for the stepconf program. While it looks like the dimensions are correct the machine (mostly) is working correctly I am not at all sure my settings are correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2016 01:10 #76127 by spaceghost
I think I might have fixed the problem. I changed the microstepping from 1/4 to 1/16 and the motors got really quite while running. Other than that, everything else appeared to work the same. I am going to assuming that was solution but is there an explanation why that would work? I changed the LinuxCNC motors settings and driver board accordingly.

More
16 Jun 2016 08:53 #76138 by Rick G
Well that is one of the goals of microstepping...
www.nmbtc.com/step-motors/engineering/fu...f-and-microstepping/

Rick G

More
16 Jun 2016 10:59 #76144 by BigJohnT
Steppers work smoothly at low speed with micro stepping and have better torque at high speed with full steps. That is why good drives like Gecko morph from 10 micro step to full steps with an adjustable morphing point.

Info about micro stepping.
www.micromo.com/microstepping-myths-and-realities

JT

More
16 Jun 2016 11:18 #76145 by andypugh

While the video quality isn't great, you can probably notice that there is very little bad noise when the machine if homing or picking up the pen to move to another location, its just when the machine is running the routing path that the noise happens.

This is just something steppers do. It sounds like at lower speeds you might be hitting a resonance in the machine frame.
As you have found, microstepping can help, but your top speed will be reduced. (simply because it takes more steps to move a certain distance).

There is a G-code program in the samples installed with linuxCNC that makes a feature of this. Try running daisy.ngc.
It plays this tune

More
16 Jun 2016 13:37 #76167 by spaceghost
Thanks, that was the information I was looking for. I had seen somewhere online that it might be a resonance issue which is why I tried changing the microstepping. The machine seems to be able to move pretty fast even at 1/16 microsteps so I don't think that will be an issue for me.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds