Replace a Servo Driver with Stepper Driver

More
15 Jul 2016 08:52 #77477 by bodhi_94
I am building a 6 axis robot arm with linux cnc.. All 6 axises are controlled using servo motors.. Unfortunately 6th axis's servo driver was burnt.. I wish to replace this burnt servo motor + driver with stepper moter+ driver... How can i do this?
All my config files are attached..

File Attachment:

File Name: Robot_Arm.zip
File Size:6 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2016 13:33 #77487 by emcPT
Servo motors have a different torque/speed curve of steppers.
Before you think on the configuration of a stepper you should think on the mechanics and to understand if you can replace one with the other.
What brand of robot do you have?

More
15 Jul 2016 13:43 #77488 by bodhi_94
Its a glue applying robot arm.. The burnt servo(6th axis) was used to control the glue head.. Currently we have no servo drivers left to replace the burnt driver.. That is why we planned to use a stepper driver...

More
15 Jul 2016 14:19 #77494 by emcPT
If your servo is DC you can probably use a geckodrive (inexpensive).

More
15 Jul 2016 14:29 #77496 by bodhi_94
But I have a stepper motor and Its driver... All i want is edit my configurations to work with both servo and stepper motors

More
15 Jul 2016 14:32 #77497 by BigJohnT
Add a stepgen and change pins as needed.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/stepgen.9.html

JT

More
15 Jul 2016 14:40 #77498 by bodhi_94
ini file is configured to control servo motors.. It is attached with the topic.. Can you please tell me what changes could be done to drive a stepper driver.. . ?

More
16 Jul 2016 03:24 - 16 Jul 2016 03:25 #77540 by Todd Zuercher
Actually if anyone had taken the time to look at your config files they would have seen that you were using step/dir servos.

So to change to a step motor you should not have to change anything other than possibly your scaling, velocity and acceleration rates to accommodate the difference in performance from your old servo to your stepper. (Oh and probably step timing settings)

However it is possible the stepper may not be capable of acceptable performance for your system, but if it can it should be a very simple swap (mostly just the physical stuff.)
Last edit: 16 Jul 2016 03:25 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bodhi_94

More
16 Jul 2016 16:43 #77546 by BigJohnT
I did look at the configs but assuming velocity servo I completely missed that it was step and direction.

JT

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds