Pre-Beginner Questions

More
17 Jul 2016 00:40 #77562 by Kirk Fraser
I have a used MaxNC 15 CL with a dead driver board so I'm looking for cheaper options instead of paying over $500 to replace it again. Does LinuxCNC do the whole job CAD and CAM including driving the stepper motors and their position sensors? Can it run on a Raspberry Pi 3B which has 4 cores? Is there a diagram of pinouts to hook up the RPi pins to the motors? Or are amplifier chips like IRF3708 needed to run stock motors?

Some posts I've read talk of using commercial daughter boards that aren't cheap and some boards run their own G-code interpreter. I would like to start without add-ons that I can't make myself, both for initial cost and repairs later. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2016 09:12 #77569 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Pre-Beginner Questions

Does LinuxCNC do the whole job CAD and CAM

No, LinuxCNC doesn't do CAD or CAM. LinuxCNC requires G-code as input, which is typically the output of a CAM package. There are some exceptions to tis, for example there are input filters that can accept certain graphical file formats, and there are add-ins for LinuxCNC that allow definition of simple (and some not-so-simple) features.

including driving the stepper motors and their position sensors?... Or are amplifier chips like IRF3708 needed to run stock motors?

LinuxCNC can generate the pulses to drive a stepper motor, and it has the ability to generate patterns other than step-dir, so it is capable of driving motors directly. However given that the average IO port can drive with about 15mA and the typical stepper motor needs 3A you pretty much always will need some sort of amplifier. The amplifiers also have the advantage of using current control, so you can run your 3A motor at 50V which gives a big increase in torque at higher speeds. (The current will still be 3A, even though the motor back-EMF might be 40V)

Can it run on a Raspberry Pi 3B which has 4 cores?

Good question. It's certainly not a commonly-used option with LinuxCNC. It might be more common with the MachineKit project version of LinuxCNC. Until quite recently there was no usable realtime system that worked for the Pi with LinuxCNC. You would need to install the PREEMPT-RT kernel on your Pi then check the realtime latency to be able to tell if the system was suitable. There are packaged kernels for the Pi2 but I am not sure about the 3.

Some posts I've read talk of using commercial daughter boards that aren't cheap and some boards run their own G-code interpreter. I would like to start without add-ons that I can't make myself, both for initial cost and repairs later. Thanks.

If you want the cheapest and simplest solution it is likely to be a second-hand PC with a parallel port and a TB6560 board from eBay. Those boards sell for less that you can buy the components for.

More
17 Jul 2016 22:32 #77584 by Kirk Fraser
Replied by Kirk Fraser on topic Pre-Beginner Questions

LinuxCNC requires G-code as input, which is typically the output of a CAM package. r.

Thank you very much for your answer. How does LinuxCNC differ from Grbl?

If you want the cheapest and simplest solution it is likely to be a second-hand PC with a parallel port and a TB6560 board from eBay. Those boards sell for less that you can buy the components for.

My experiences of buying second-hand PC's with parallel port has gone from good to bad over the years. The last 3 have included one so bad it arrived unable to work so I got an Ebay refund, a temporarily acceptable one that ended up smoking AND blowing out my MaxNC driver board and two motors, and one which only worked for 3 axes not 4. So I'm inclined to move away from the parallel port. I think my own amplifier board would be better but if LinuxCNC is not sure to work, that leaves MachineKit, or Grbl so I'll inquire of them, or try a non-cheap KFLOP USB board with built in G-Code that is half of MaxNC's driver board..

More
18 Jul 2016 01:03 #77585 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Pre-Beginner Questions

So I'm inclined to move away from the parallel port. I think my own amplifier board would be better but if LinuxCNC is not sure to work, that leaves MachineKit, or Grbl so I'll inquire of them, or try a non-cheap KFLOP USB board with built in G-Code that is half of MaxNC's driver board..

LinuxCNC does support many other options than the parallel port. In fact I very rarely recommend the P-port, as it is very limited in performance. However my impression from your enquiries was that you were budget-constrained.

If your criterion is "half the price of the MaxNC board" then options like the Mesa 7i76 set are an option. Or the ethernet version . (though that is still a little less mainstream)
There is also a driver for the Pi and an SPI card , using the Pi SPI interface. That is not in the LinuxCNC mainline yet, but is probably in-budget.

Clearly we have absolutely no way to determine if "your own amplifier board" would be sure to work as you have given no indication what interface you intend to use.

More
18 Jul 2016 16:50 #77600 by comjon
Replied by comjon on topic Pre-Beginner Questions
Kirk,

I took a pretty good look at the Grbl and Arduino/Pi options last summer and decided enough support from the hackaday culture was in place to make it a viable option to eventually transition away from my current parallel ports. My hesitation to throw everything out and start over is the classic "ain't broke don't fix it", where the duplicity of hardware I own (many eight year old Dell 8300 desktops) and need for a reliable and self serviceable set up, which I now have, favored waiting out another evolution of the the newer USB based hardware. I am well convinced the open source hardware and CAD/CAM efforts are going to reach it's goals; check out FreeCAD, HeeksCAD; and check out CAMotics for G Code generation. It probably is the case you should expect to set aside a greater amount of time for experimentation with the USB config since it is. obviously, newer than parallel port.

As Andypugh mentioned, Mesa can help and I recommend them. I understand the frustration with the parallel port; many of the cheap machines you could have found at the curb or recycling facility five years ago have made their way to PC underworld permanently.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds