6I25 + 7I25 mode selection questions

More
05 Aug 2016 11:04 #78383 by G21
Hello everybody,

First post here, trying to convert my machine from Mach 3 to LinuxCNC. Got myself a plug n go kit with the 6I25 and 7I76 from Mesa.
Used PnCConf to try to get things working today but I ran into a snag. I am not sure how to select the correct settings for my cards so that I get the 2 encoders I need for my spindle and my MPG. I at first had problems getting my switches to work, could not get it going and after some diligent clicking around suddenly the SS#0 tab popped up and I had my switch inputs. To be honest, I am not sure how I got this but I think I clicked on add a serial port. Not that I need a serial port I thought because I have nothing that connects through a serial port but what the heck I thought and there it was. Motors are running, home switches are working now, still need to do the limit switches and the spindle is working also.

Problem now is that I need a spindle encoder (just A and B ) for rigid tapping + rpm feedback and I have a 100 PPR A and B encoder MPG that I would like to hook up. (this will be the next challenge for sure) I see in the screen shots attached that I got an encoder input but with Index, A and B and no second encoder input. I do not need and index signal on my spindle, just need the A and B I think for what I want it to do. No closed loop for the spindle, runs of a VFD.

I read in the manual from the 7I76 that the card needs to be in Mode 2 to get the 2 encoder inputs I need but I have no clue how to select Mode 2. I can see (see attached picture) that the card now says Mode 0 but this is not a selection tab, cant change it there since the little arrow is greyed out.

Could anybody help me out here and see where I messed things up? I have attached my INI and my HAL. Some screenshots of what I seei during the set-up.

Thanks a lot in advance and more questions to come for sure.

G21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2016 12:17 #78386 by G21
I see it ended up in the wrong place, Moderator - could you please move my topic to the PnCConf sub-forum? My mistake, sorry and thanks!

More
05 Aug 2016 14:41 #78389 by Todd Zuercher
I don't think PnCConf can do it. You will have to get your hands dirty and edit the config files yourself. Here is some tips.
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/39-pncconf/2904...or-mpg-on-input-pins

More
11 Aug 2016 12:49 #78607 by G21
Thanks Todd,

I changed to mode 2 and the encoders showed up. Used encoder 0 for the MPG and got the selection switches and step size selection switches all hooked up and working. Good day today!

Although PnCConf shows the selection option for mode 2, it actually does not put the card in mode 2. You have to do this manually and it defaults back to mode 0 each time you use PnCConf to make changes. Just something to remember for people who struggled with this also.

Got the machine up and running, servo's are working, limit and home switches are working etc. Spindle is running also. Need to tweak a few things and hook up the spindle encoder tomorrow but so far I am well on my way to making chips again.

Thanks again!

G21

More
11 Aug 2016 13:09 #78608 by Todd Zuercher
It is often best not to use the config wizards (PnCConfig and StepConfig) for changes once you have a basic functioning config. They are really only for getting you started, after that it is usually best to hand edit the config files. If you do try to rerun them later, make a backup of the old files first, or start a new config.

More
11 Aug 2016 23:44 #78655 by G21
I agree with you but for folks like me that are not too proficient in Linux yet it is all a bit taunting. We'll get there though. Lots to learn still but first need to get the machine up and running to be able to make parts. So far so good, I am on the right track I feel.

Thanks again!

G21

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds