M5 and M3 Commands no longer work

More
07 Aug 2016 03:09 #78426 by Dave H
I am using LinuxCNC 2.7.6 with a Gecko G540 controller on my home built 3 axis fixed gantry mill with a router spindle. Up until today, and I hadn't used the machine in a few months, everything was fine. Today the spindle on and off commands do not work. I did modify the HAL file back in April, but did not think I messed with the spindle controls. I added Z axis switches at that time.
Can someone take a look at these config files and tell me if something is missing or wrong?

The router relay is connected to Output 1 on the G540, and that is controlled by pin 17, I believe.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2016 07:02 #78428 by Rick G
Does the spindle relay work with the spindle on/off button in manual mode?
Did you issue a S command such as S5000 before the M3? A spindle speed must be in effect for M3 to work.

Rick G

More
07 Aug 2016 13:37 - 07 Aug 2016 13:39 #78437 by Dave H

Does the spindle relay work with the spindle on/off button in manual mode?
Did you issue a S command such as S5000 before the M3? A spindle speed must be in effect for M3 to work.

Rick G

Relay does not work with the spindle on/off button in manual mode.
Relay does shut off the router if I disconnect power from the relay. Relay indicator light also goes out.
Various part programs have M3 S1000 commands at the beginning, and M5 commands at the end. The router does not respond to them. Router can only be started/stopped with it's own power switch.
I am pretty sure I have narrowed this down to either my G540 has a problem with the output to the relay, or one of the config files is missing something.
I have a request in to Gecko to see if there is a manual way to trigger that output to test it. No response yet.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2016 13:39 by Dave H.

More
08 Aug 2016 11:18 - 08 Aug 2016 11:20 #78483 by Rick G
O.K. to see if hal is properly configured
Open Hal configuration.
Select Watch
Select motion.spindle-on
Try toggling the spindle on and off and see if the state of motion.spindle-on changes.

You can also try the parallel port tester and toggle pin 17 to see if the relay reacts.

Rick G
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 11:20 by Rick G.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave H

More
08 Aug 2016 14:55 - 08 Aug 2016 14:55 #78492 by Dave H
Thanks for your help Rick. I found the problem.

There was a line in hal referencing motion.spindle.on, and when I added a line from the documentation relative to spindle control also referencing that command, Axis would abort. So I removed the new line I just added. Axis would run again, but with no spindle control. It took a little while to get through my thick skull, but I finally re-added the line from the docs, and commented out the original line. VOILA! Spindle on/off control is back.

Again, thanks for your help,
Dave
Last edit: 08 Aug 2016 14:55 by Dave H.

More
08 Aug 2016 15:24 #78494 by Rick G

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds