install hangs at "Detect network hardware"

More
11 Aug 2016 20:15 #78648 by BikeCourse
New to Linux. d/l'd and burned iso of Debian Wheezy 2.7 and installed on a 5yo core i5 laptop no problem. Then I read about how laptops are difficult to get to run decent latency with all the power management built in so I'm ditching that approach.

So I'm installing on my 5yo CAD desktop machine. Probably overkill for this application but it's what I've got. Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 "Ultra Durable" motherboard, i7 920@2.6Ghz, 6GB pc3 RAM, GeForce GTX780 256gb SSD.

Install hangs at "Detect network hardware" screen. Mouse/cursor moves fine so it's not locked up. Looks like it uses a realtek LAN driver, not sure if that's the problem or not. I've tried installing with ethernet plugged in and unplugged, same thing.

Anyone know what might be happening or how to work around?

thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2016 01:35 #78657 by Todd Zuercher
If you suspect a problem with the onboard lan, try disabling it in the bios.

Also did you make sure that you downloaded a good copy of the iso by verifying the checksum?
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...ml#_verify_the_image

More
12 Aug 2016 17:36 #78678 by cncnoob1979
I had that issue when first trying to install from the live CD, also I found out I had a bad image transferred to a USB stick. [The program I used corrupted it] The other time I had that issue on another motherboard I disabled the LAN via the motherboard to get past the install.

I ended up with Linux Mint 17.3 and built linuxcnc from source. John has a tutorial with the install walk-through with Linux Mint. Hopefully you get things going smoothly... its worth it in the end!

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds