SIM PIN

More
27 Sep 2016 18:58 #81014 by Larry
SIM PIN was created by Larry
Okay the first posting attempt did not seem to post. So I'll try it again.

I am currently running the latest 2.7.7 version of Linuxcnc. It looks like I survived a web update from the 2.6 series. I was prompted to do this because I want to try and use, “sim_pin”. From the AXIS GUI, I tried to implement SIM PIN from /machine/Show_Hal_Configuration/command line. I get an indication that SIM PIN is active. Still the SIM PIN window is not visible. So what do I need to do.

Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2016 02:52 - 28 Sep 2016 02:54 #81020 by dgarrett
Replied by dgarrett on topic SIM PIN
sim_pin is an application (an executable program) and is
conventionally started from the command line of a shell [1].
Ref: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/hal/tools.html#_sim_pin

A sim_pin application may be started on each linuxcnc invocation
by making an ini file entry in the [APPLICATIONS] section. This
can be done with the axis gui (or any other gui).
Ref: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-co...applications_section

Typically, one uses the command line for quick tests or experiments;
use the [APPLICATIONS] method if you want the app available at each startup.

[1] Note: When building from source (Run-In-Place), you must set the
appropriate environment in the shell by sourcing the rip-environment
script.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2016 02:54 by dgarrett.

More
28 Sep 2016 16:40 #81047 by Larry
Replied by Larry on topic SIM PIN
Hi dgarrett:

You are correct that Sim Pin is an application, but I also believe that halmeter, and halscope are also applications. Using the afore mentioned command line, it is possible to enter the following:

1.) loadusr halmeter
2.) loadusr halscope

In both cases the respective GUI comes up. However, entering the following:

loadusr sim_pin

Causes the status window, just above the command line, to indicate that sim_pin has started. Nevertheless the GUI fails to come up.

More
28 Sep 2016 17:19 #81048 by dgarrett
Replied by dgarrett on topic SIM PIN

loadusr sim_pin

Causes the status window, just above the command line, to indicate that sim_pin has started. Nevertheless the GUI fails to come up.

the halmeter and halscope will start without arguments, sim_pin requires one or more arguments (typically pin names). If you start linuxcnc from a terminal, you will see sim_pin reports its usual error message.
  Usage:
         sim_pin name1 [name2 ...] &

More
30 Sep 2016 03:28 #81097 by Larry
Replied by Larry on topic SIM PIN
You are correct that sim pin needs an argument list. I tried to feed it an argument list several iterations ago with the same negative results. It never occurred to me to try and start inuxcnc from a terminal and expect different results. I have always used the menu on the desktop for the invocation. After roaming the file system, I discovered a script file in /usr/bin named linuxcnc. I tried executing this file from the commend line, and up it came. Your comments were correct about the error messages that I would receive on the terminal. I then used the same same command line from the hal configuration GUI that I have been using all along. I also fed it a pin to look at. Keep in mind that I have done this before. To my surprise the Sim Pin GUI came up. Thinking that it had something to do with the fact I launched from a terminal, I closed this instance. I then relaunched linuxcnc again from the start menu. This time Sim Pin came up again. The only thing that I can think of is that I was invoking either an output pin, or the syntax of the pin I was including had an error in it.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. This problem is apparently solved. As an interesting aside, I also discovered that you can invoke Sim Pin multiple times from the same command line that I have been using assigning each a different pin. This allows you to line up several Sim Pins along the bottom of the screen as opposed to having one long Sim Pin along the side where it can eat into your back plot space of the main axis GUI. Anyway it's something to think about.

Again thanks.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds