Wrong motion mode left due homing error

More
03 Oct 2016 02:10 #81164 by auto-mation-assist
I made some changes to my X and Y axis home switches and was checking out homing and X, Y and Z axis with indexing. All were working fine until I increased the search velocity on Z axis and ran into the positive Z axis limit switch. This may have left the Z axis homing procedure only partially completed and locked in.

I was able to move out of the limit condition on Z Axis but now the manual Z axis jog buttons on Gmoccapy move the Z axis in the wrong directions. It appears to me that the machine may still be in homing mode for the Z axis. The X and Y axis jog properly.

Restarting Linuxcnc and the machines electronics do not clear this problem. Nor does rebooting the computer running Linuxcnc. This makes me suspect that there must be a variable that was set and that it is being saved in a file somewhere. I have not been able to get the Z axis to act in a normal manner yet.

The only unusual alerts in the terminal window opened to run in place is:
“wrong motion mode, change to the correct one”. But with no help on how to do this.

Linuxxcnc version 2.8.0 pre1 with Gmoccapy 5 axis on Debian Jessie v8.2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2016 05:13 #81167 by auto-mation-assist
I have my Z axis moving normally again. My problem appears to be with defining these to workable values in the .ini file:

In the .INI file under
[AXIS_Z]
MIN_LIMIT =
MAX_LIMIT =

[JOINT_2]
MIN_LIMIT =
MAX_LIMIT =

I’m confused why there are two sets of these needed. Do they have different functions? But if the
values in each set do not agree then trivkins report an error and stops Linuxcnc from loading and running. I have one homing switch in Z and two in X and Y one each end of each axis. How does homing use these with the plus or minus values that can be entered? The recent automatic renaming of Axis to Joint by software update split these.

More
03 Oct 2016 12:34 #81182 by Todd Zuercher
In a simple Cartesian machine there isn't much need for separating the joint and axis parameters. However the JA branch that was recently merged into master, created a clear and separated divide between what is an axis (x,y,z... Cartesian coordinates) and joints (an actual physical moving part of the machine). These are not necessarily the same, such as in a robot arm, where they are in fact very different. For a simple Cartesian machine (like a CNC router or milling machine) where the axis are the same as the joints, just set them to the same values.

Another way to look at it is a "joint" is a motor on the machine, an "axis" is the space and direction the machine moves in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: auto-mation-assist

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds