What has changed??

More
03 Oct 2016 13:36 #81186 by cparsons
What has changed?? was created by cparsons
I have set up a profile for my mill and successfully done a demo (several times) with the X and Y stepper motors mounted on a wooden plate, but when I set everything up again yesterday the Y axis motor started stalling??

I then created a dummy profile with the default settings in Stepconf and everything works fine - but when I change the microstepping
(using stepconf) to 16 to match the settings on the stepper drivers the Y axis stalls again??

The X axis has a motor to lead screw ratio of 1:1 (direct drive) while the Y axis is 1:2 (pulley on leadscrew is 2x that on the motor)
so I am guessing it is something to do with the ratio but am baffled as to why when the settings were fine before!

I guess I could change the drivers settings - I thought these had to match the software settings??

The options I have are

half, 8th, 10th, 16th, 20th, 32nd, 40th and 64th with decay of 20, 40, 60 and 80% - I have them set to 16th with a decay of 40% - this seems to work fine on the X axis but not on Y but I am not sure where to start - I tried changing the Y microstepping to 8th but this didn't make any discernable difference? (my logic being the 1:2 pulley ratio?)

Anyone got any suggestions as to where to start looking?

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2016 13:56 - 03 Oct 2016 13:59 #81187 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic What has changed??
If you were able to generate steps fast enough to achieve the feed rates you want with micro-stepping set to 16, changing it to 8 probably won't make any difference. Because of the higher turns/distance ratio of the Y you may have to reduce your max feed rate for the Y by 1/2 compared to the X. Accelerations may or may not also need to be reduced.

Check wiring and connections, swap motors or drives and see if the problem moves?

Those are about the only things I can think of.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2016 13:59 by Todd Zuercher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds