When will version 2.8 be "Officially" released?

More
19 Oct 2016 23:20 #81875 by Firesand
As the title asks...When will version 2.8 be "Officially" released?

I know that the "Pre" version is available to install now, but I would prefer to use the officially documented and supported release.

I've used previous versions for my cartesian machine, but I really want to design non-trivial parallel kinematic machines.

Since version 2.8 has the Joint-Axes branch merged, I am assuming that all non-cartesian machine movements including jogging, homing, limits, etc will act as normally as they do for cartesian machines. Is this assumption correct?

If there are any "gotchas" or other problems with non-cartesian machine movement, can someone please list or update those problems here.

Thank you for any answers you can provide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2016 16:27 #81992 by Firesand
Why has no one responded to my questions?

I just want some ballpark answers.

I'm sure others would be interested as well.

Thank you

More
24 Oct 2016 16:51 #81994 by newbynobi
Hallo,

since 2.8 is the master branch, it is the development tree. IMHO there is no release cycle for new versions.
You will have to wait until it has been approved to be stable enough to be released.

Norbert

More
24 Oct 2016 17:02 #81997 by Todd Zuercher
I don't think anyone really has a clue when it may be released. Linuxcnc doesn't use a regular release schedule. New releases are done when they (the releases) are deemed ready.

I was very surprised by how quickly 2.7 was released. I think 2.8 may take a little longer. My uninformed opinion it might be 6moths to a year. (Watch they'll make a liar out of me and release it next week.)

I'm not sure how different it will be in practice from how it works now, since I have no experience with a non Cartesian machine. 2.8 will still need custom kinematics for most, and need to home in joint mode...

You can play with simulations of the machine types you're interested in in 2.7 and 2.8, and compare the differences yourself.

More
25 Oct 2016 16:19 #82043 by Firesand
Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

They are most appreciated.

Hopefully, the wait will not be too long.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds