I know nema 23 steppers usually run hot but...

More
22 Oct 2016 23:25 #81943 by Wolfmansbrother
When I run the steppers in the stepconf "test mode", I can hold the continuous run button for a good 5 min before seeing any noticeable change in temperature. But, when using linuxcnc and the jog function on continuous, the motors heat up rapidly. After 5 minutes of running the become uncomfortably hot to touch.

Is it normal for linuxcnc to cause this? If so, why?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2016 12:22 #81956 by Rick G
Make sure you have the amps set correctly and not overdriving the stepper motors.
Some manufactures rate their motors at 100 deg C, 212 deg F.

Rick G

More
23 Oct 2016 12:56 #81958 by tommylight
Not caused by LinuxCnc, that is caused by to much current to the motors. Stepper motors draw more current when standing still or at low rpm, the faster they run they draw less current. Hence your problem. Almost all drives have current settings, so adjust the current according to stepper motors.
It is quite normal for motors to get hot to the point of burning fingers, but I use a simple method of holding the motor in my hand for a second or two is OK, if I can not hold it for that period, I lower the current.
In your case you said they get to hot to quick, it should normally take 10 to 15 minutes at low rpm to get hot.

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds