XHC-HB04 - wired or wireless?

More
24 Nov 2016 07:59 #83213 by racedirector
I have been watching youtube videos of the HB04 wireless unit and one of the "complaints" I keep hearing is the response time between pressing buttons etc and LCNC reacting. So that got me thinking, would a wired unit be better? I don't care either way about wired or wireless but the lack of response is a bit disconcerting.

If anyone has any feedback on either to both of these units I would love to hear about it.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2016 16:30 #83223 by andypugh
I don't think that wired or wireless is the cause of the responsiveness problem.
The XHC drivers are user-space moduels, and subject to the same delays as any other user-space (non-realtime) inputs.

If you want the best responsiveness from your pendant then you need to wire into the real-time layer instead. That way the system will always act on the input in <1 mS

There are HAL pins for this purpose for each axis.

More
25 Nov 2016 08:12 #83256 by racedirector
Thanks Andy

I suspect then it is more related to the onboard software of the units then. I'll think about which one to buy before dropping $$$ on one.

As for writing my own layer, thats a bit beyond my current comfort zone in LCNC, one day maybe :)

More
25 Nov 2016 11:55 - 25 Nov 2016 11:56 #83262 by andypugh

I suspect then it is more related to the onboard software of the units then.

I think it is actually the fault of Linux and USB, actually.

[/quote]As for writing my own layer, thats a bit beyond my current comfort zone in LCNC, one day maybe :)[/quote]

If you have enough GPIO then wiring up a hard-wired pendant should be fairly easy. (By which I mean a pendant where every button, switch and MPG has a separate wire back to the control PC). These do exist, but are rather less convenient.

If you are using Mesa cards then the 7i73 is one answer.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2016 11:56 by andypugh.

More
01 Dec 2016 13:45 #83521 by racedirector
Thanks Andy

I actually just bought one of the wireless ones as I am lazy :) Now I just need to figure out how to add it to Pathpilot!

Oh and no Mesa cards here yet, still parallel port and PMDX126

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds