LinuxCNC starter questions

More
30 Nov 2016 19:22 - 30 Nov 2016 19:25 #83504 by timmert
Hi all

I have a few questions regarding exporting a config and setting up LinuxCNC.

Both my mill and lathe are going to run LinuxCNC with Mesa cards.
I bought two new machines and installed LinuxCNC. I don't have the Mesa cards yet so they will be installed later.

question 1:
I want to use Gmoccappy for my interface. I'm going to use a touchscreen and this one seems very "touchscreen friendly".
I started the Gmocappy interface the standard config template seems fine for my mill.
But the lathe config is a bit strange? It has a R, D and Z axis instead of Z and X? Is there a way to change it?

question 2:
Besides I can't enter enter 'auto mode' to load programs or enter MDI. They are greyed out no matter what I do. It only works when the Mesa card is configured?

question 3:
What's the best way to copy a linuxcnc configuration from one machine to another?
I bought the machine from someone and he transfered all the files (also .ini and hal files). And when I startup the config, it gives a bunch of kernel errors. Is there a easier method? He uses Axis as gui, but I want to use Gmoccappy
Last edit: 30 Nov 2016 19:25 by timmert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2016 22:16 #83511 by tommylight
1.that is radius and diameter, i think, and changing it should be easy, but i am not the one to answer on how to change it, so other members should answer that.
2. You have to turn the machine power and enable ( top right corner ) then chnge to auto. If that does not work, it means you are using a config that requires an external e-stop wired to paraport or mesa card.
3. Copy the folder located at /home/your user name here/linuxcnc/configs/config_name

More
01 Dec 2016 11:56 #83518 by Hakan
Replied by Hakan on topic LinuxCNC starter questions
G7 = Diameter mode
G8 = Radius mode
Select the one you prefer.

The DRO will change accordingly and whiten out the field not in use. I have not seen that a field can be completely removed.

More
03 Dec 2016 16:37 - 03 Dec 2016 16:46 #83623 by timmert
Replied by timmert on topic LinuxCNC starter questions
thanks for the replies.
I just made a simple config
I did turn on the machage power and enable. But auto mode/mdi/offset still greyed out. I also checked the .hal file and # all the e-stop things. But after this i can't turn on the machine because the e-stop is pressed. So it can't be the e-stop I think?

edit

just made another configuration and removed the complete e-step.
but it's still greyed out
Last edit: 03 Dec 2016 16:46 by timmert.

More
03 Dec 2016 16:50 - 03 Dec 2016 16:52 #83625 by newbynobi

question 1:
I want to use Gmoccappy for my interface. I'm going to use a touchscreen and this one seems very "touchscreen friendly".
I started the Gmocappy interface the standard config template seems fine for my mill.
But the lathe config is a bit strange? It has a R, D and Z axis instead of Z and X? Is there a way to change it?

Hakan has answered very in Detail.
If you want to have only X and Z, you need to set the visibility of the Y Axis in the glade file to false and in the gmoccapy file check for changing the DRO axis letter to R and D and change the letters to be X.

question 2:
Besides I can't enter enter 'auto mode' to load programs or enter MDI. They are greyed out no matter what I do. It only works when the Mesa card is configured?

I am shure you have not homed the machine! Click on Estop, click next on machine on, the click the HOME button most left in the botton button bar, then click hole all (check for the tool tip text, if the mose hoover over a button)

Norbert
Last edit: 03 Dec 2016 16:52 by newbynobi.

More
03 Dec 2016 16:55 #83626 by timmert
Replied by timmert on topic LinuxCNC starter questions
Hi Norbert,

Thanks for the reply

That was indeed the "problem"
But after home all it still didn't work.
I had to click on Home Z and Home X separately.
Don't know why yet.

But after homing them separately i'm able to access offsets/mdi etc :)

More
07 Dec 2016 07:17 #83729 by newbynobi

I had to click on Home Z and Home X separately.
Don't know why yet.

May be you do not have a home order in your ini file.

Norbert

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds