Upgrade issue - old CNC machine, new computer

More
01 Jan 2017 13:17 #85003 by zecurecode
Hello and happy new year!

I am new to LinuxCNC and are now stuck after an old computer stopped working.
I am humbly asking the community for any help and -or advise.

When i started to work on this machine, the system was as follows:
- Old CNCmachine controlling the rigg,
- CNCmachine was connected with LPT1
- Computer OS (computer no.2) was version 2 (ubuntu based LinuxCNC). (256MB RAM - and just very old)

The system had some issues with low resolution, so i decided to upgrade the computer. After shutting down the computer for upgrade, the computer was dead. I had to replace the whole computer and install the latest LinuxCNC. On the new computer, there was no parport, so i bought a cheap PCI-Parport card and mounted everything for testing.
However, when i detached the HDD to extract the config files, I could only extract some of the user files before the HDD stopped spinning.

My problem now is that I have no clue on what system is connected and how to configure it.
When running LinuxCNC I get a ton of different option i do not know what is doing.
I decided to try step-config, and did get an old config file from the guy that installed the system for more than 10 years ago.
However, when testing, i get no respons from the CNCmachine.

Do anyone have any advise on how to get this system up and going again?
Any advise would be appreciated.

I will off course share the progress if anyone find them-self in a similar situation :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2017 14:46 #85287 by BigJohnT
If the configuration runs without errors that is a good thing. The old parallel port would be 5v the new one could be 3.3v or 5v do you know what it is? Some hardware require 5v. What is connected to the parallel port?

JT

More
05 Jan 2017 15:13 #85288 by zecurecode
I got 5V (+ a few digits). However, when moving around in axis using the arrows, there was no change in the readings, and no reaction from the mill what so ever. I did use the same pin layout, and I know the last parport sent out 5V. When starting Axis, the motors "Clicks", so there is something going thru. I`m starting to think the issue might be with the TTL logic, but that again is strange, since everything worked just fine until I upgraded the the pc connected to the dedicated TTL controller pc.

More
05 Jan 2017 15:17 #85290 by zecurecode
I also got some errors (Joint 1 and 2 follow error, and joint 1 + 2 error)

More
05 Jan 2017 15:24 #85292 by andypugh

I got 5V (+ a few digits). However, when moving around in axis using the arrows, there was no change in the readings, and no reaction from the mill what so ever.

Was the LinuxCNC display set to show actual position or commanded position? If the commanded position isn't changing when you press the arrow keys then it could be a problem with feed override, motion.feed-inhibit, that sort of thing.
ie: Perhaps linuxCNC isn't even trying to move the machine.

More
05 Jan 2017 15:30 #85293 by zecurecode
That I do not know, or how to check. I first tried to load the old config files, and after that failed, I created a new config set using the wizard for step-config, and then copying over the appropriate .HAL and .INI settings. It is supposed to be exactly as the old setup. I do see though that the new config files created have a lot of more settings, and I cant even start AXIS if I try to remove some of the extra settings. Now I am really stuck and don`t know what to try next.

More
05 Jan 2017 17:15 #85297 by BigJohnT
In your main hal file look address for the parallel port then check as show in the manual what your actual address is.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/hal/parallel-...ml#_pci_port_address

JT

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds