machine setup

More
07 Jan 2017 22:11 #85428 by thor44
machine setup was created by thor44
I have a home built cnc router table that runs in one direction just fine and makes noise and skips steps on the reverse direction (all 3 axis). The computer is an older P4 with on board video and parallel port with Debian Wheezy and Linuxcnc 2.7.0.

I have tried 4 different motherboards and 3 different power supplies and still the same problem. I have used an external power supply for the C10S breakout board and the computer power and still the same problem.

When I connect the parallel cable to my laptop the problem goes away.

So my question is what could cause the machine to run in one direction just fine but not the reverse and what is different when the laptop is connected?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2017 22:25 #85429 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic machine setup
My best guess would be week 3.3v parallel ports on the boards that are giving you trouble. Some parallel ports have true 5v outputs, and some don't. If that is the problem adding an inexpensive parallel port breakout board (such as a C10) that boosts the 3v signal up to 5v should fix the problem.

More
07 Jan 2017 22:38 #85431 by thor44
Replied by thor44 on topic machine setup
the c10s and c10 boards are the same boards with the exception of the connectors for the wires.
do you think a pci parallel port card could fix the problem?

More
07 Jan 2017 23:38 #85433 by thor44
A new update. I had an idea to try and run the stepconf wizard and set up a new machine configuration and everything works just fine, all axis run in both directions without conflict so I am guessing at this point there is a conflict in the configuration files.

Now, were to find the conflict?

More
08 Jan 2017 01:11 #85439 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic machine setup
Timing was to short, most probably.

More
08 Jan 2017 02:03 #85445 by thor44
How do I check the timing?

More
08 Jan 2017 04:59 #85456 by lincamx
Replied by lincamx on topic machine setup
compare both files to see if you can find the difference

More
08 Jan 2017 06:51 #85460 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic machine setup

the c10s and c10 boards are the same boards with the exception of the connectors for the wires.
do you think a pci parallel port card could fix the problem?

Sorry I didn't read your first message closely enough, and missed that you were using a breakout board.

The next thing to look at is step timing. The step space timing and step hold timing are going to be the ones to concentrate on. These can also be affected by the computers latency. If your timing is marginal differences the latency could push it over the edge and cause missed steps on one machine and not the next.

What stepper drives are you using? and what were the step timing settings you chose? If you choose settings that were equal to the drives minimum timings, it might be a good idea to add a safety margin (a 25% increase should usually be enough.)

More
14 Jan 2017 14:26 #85751 by thor44
stepper drivers are Keling KL6050. I copied and pasted a good ini file and hal file into my machine config and now everything is ok. When I compared the two files I did not see anything that was different which is why I did the copy and paste. I am still confused on the whole timing, can explain?

Thanks
Orson

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds