how to setup a Mesa 7i80HD?

More
24 Jan 2017 07:12 #86536 by Reinhard
Could you please define "better"?

First you explained, that bringing the stepper encoders to linuxcnc is not very useful, as the stepper driver needs the encoders. Ok, I understand that point.
So the only remaining encoders are manual encoders for manual movement oder speed limitations - so no special speed requirements.
The 7i47S offers a spindle interface (direction and PWM-Speed), which the 7i52S does not.
I need a spindle interface.

So where and why is a 7i52S better for my requirements as a 7i47S?

... and why noone mentioned the pin-configuration of the mesacards?
Is it possible?
And if so, how can I resolve an individual setting?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2017 10:30 #86545 by andypugh

... and why noone mentioned the pin-configuration of the mesacards?

The pin configurations are printed to dmesg when the card is started, but that might not be the most convenient time to find out.

The definitive way to find the pin layout of a firmware is to look at the .pin file (where it exists) or the .vhd file that the firmware is created from.

For firmwares that are included in the linuxcnc-firmware package (which is a sub-set of those that are available in the .zip file from Mesa) you can see the files here as the PIN_*_*_.vhd files:
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=hostmot2-firmw...bf98062a75dfdb28cf20

More
24 Jan 2017 11:03 #86547 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic how to setup a Mesa 7i80HD?
The 7i76 ticks a lot of boxes in 1 card but you are short 1 stepgen and 1 MPG encoder. But there are examples in the docs of using 1 MPG input for multiple Axes if you can live with an axis selector switch for your MPG's. That would let you get by by by just adding a 7i78 DB25 daughter card for the remaining stepgen. The RS422 pendant interface might also be an option if you must have separate MPG encoders. Not sure if there is a bit file though.

More
24 Jan 2017 14:10 #86559 by Reinhard

..., but that might not be the most convenient time to find out.

LOL - yes sir :)

I'd like to know it before I waste my money.
I'm willing to follow your recommendations, but I stil don't have the picture.
_

The definitive way to find the pin layout of a firmware is to look at the .pin file (where it exists) or the .vhd file that the firmware is created from.

When I look at the archives from mesa, there're no .pin files.
The .vhd files are there, but no Makefile to build a certain .bit-file, which I assume is the firmware to load to the FPGA.
_

The 7i76 ticks a lot of boxes in 1 card but you are short 1 stepgen and 1 MPG encoder. But there are examples in the docs of using 1 MPG input for multiple Axes if you can live with an axis selector switch for your MPG's.

No I can't live with an axis selector switch.
I start with a 4-axis gantry mill, which means 5 step/dir channels, 5 endstops, a spindle channel, about 3 encoders and about 5 relais. The endstops will be switched, depending on the 4th axis.
The fifth axis and a toolchanger are already planned, so to be precise, I'd need 7 channels.
May be I can use a switch for the 5th axis and the tool changer, but before, I have no axis to switch.

I have no problem, create a daughterboard on my own with RS422 transceivers, but I have no idea, how to configure the pin settings of the mesa card to suit my needs.

More
24 Jan 2017 14:39 #86563 by andypugh

When I look at the archives from mesa, there're no .pin files.
The .vhd files are there, but no Makefile to build a certain .bit-file, which I assume is the firmware to load to the FPGA.

If you look at what bitfiles are available for the 7i80 you can then look for the corresponding .vhd file.
So, as an example the file 7i80hd_16_svst6_6_7i52sd.bit will have been made using the .vhd file PIN_SVST6_6_7I52S_72.vhd

For extra MPG channels don't ignore the fact that the 7i76 (and many other cards, for example the 7i84) can be configured to have 2 x MPG counters on GPIO pins 16-19 (See "SOFTWARE PROCESS DATA MODES") and that the 7i73 is a pretty good solution for a control panel as it multiplexes a lot of IO and MPG channels into a single RJ45 cable.

More
24 Jan 2017 15:07 - 24 Jan 2017 15:07 #86564 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic how to setup a Mesa 7i80HD?

Because on your original request you wanted 6 step/dir outputs and 6 encoder inputs
you cannot do this with a 7I47S

(a 7I47S would have 4 step/dir outputs max + 4 full encoders or possibly 6 encoders
with a strange pinout by dropping the index pins)
Last edit: 24 Jan 2017 15:07 by PCW.

More
24 Jan 2017 20:44 - 24 Jan 2017 20:46 #86580 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic how to setup a Mesa 7i80HD?
Your specs seem to have grown. 7i76e with a 7i76 daughter card will give 10 stepgens, 2 spindles with encoders and 4 x MPG. The relays and other IO have never been a limitation but you'll probably find you want to run separate min, max and home switches on every stepper joint. But even 1 x 7i76e will probably have enough I/0.
EDIT: But I think what I suggested earlier will work out cheaper...
Last edit: 24 Jan 2017 20:46 by rodw.

More
25 Jan 2017 05:16 #86595 by Reinhard

So, as an example the file 7i80hd_16_svst6_6_7i52sd.bit will have been made using the .vhd file PIN_SVST6_6_7I52S_72.vhd

GREAT! Thanks!
Looks like the pin-definition can be changed without learning vhd :D
Can I use each pin-definition at any pin, or exists pins with special meaning?
Do I have to change "ModuleID" when I change "PinDesc"?
Where can I find the naming rules for filenames?
... and when I created my own pin-file, how do I generate a .bit-file?
_

For extra MPG channels ...

what is a MPG channel?
_

the 7i73 is a pretty good solution for a control panel

yes, that card looks very interesting! Thanks!
Where can I find a pin-definition for connecting to 7i73?
_

See "SOFTWARE PROCESS DATA MODES"

as far as I know, I don't have analog input channels.
The pwm-channel for spindle speed - is it analog output or is it regular I/O?
I have step/dir, pwm, encoder and digital I/O - will mode 0 be appropriate?
_

Because on your original request you wanted 6 step/dir outputs and 6 encoder inputs
you cannot do this with a 7I47S

Ok, but it was your recommendation, not to bring the encoders to linuxcnc.
If there's a reason stil bringing the encoders to linuxcnc, please tell me.
_

Your specs seem to have grown.

Not really. Look at my second post.

but with the possibility of generating my own bit-file, I can now figure out my setup and decide, whether a 7i92 will suffice or whether I need a 7i80HD :)
Very nice!

cheers

More
25 Jan 2017 12:43 - 25 Jan 2017 12:43 #86607 by andypugh

... and when I created my own pin-file, how do I generate a .bit-file?

This isn't entirely trivial. There are instructions here: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Editing_MESA_Bitfiles

what is a MPG channel?

An encoder counter (possibly relatively slow, 100kHz rather than 10MHz) without an index for use with a Manual Pulse Generator rather than the encoder on a servo.

The pwm-channel for spindle speed - is it analog output or is it regular I/O?

That depends on the card. On the 7i76 it is an isolated digital potentiometer, so is particularly well suited to VFDs and KBIC drives.

but with the possibility of generating my own bit-file, I can now figure out my setup and decide, whether a 7i92 will suffice or whether I need a 7i80HD :)

It is typically simpler to move physical wires than to reconfigure the bitfiles. I don't know if you have noticed this, but you can disable specific functions such as stepgens and encoder counters and those pins then become available as GPIO pins.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2017 12:43 by andypugh.

More
26 Jan 2017 07:07 #86688 by Reinhard
after playing with the needed channels, it looks to me, that the 7i92 is to small for my requirements.
So a 7i80HD + 7i52S seems to be a good starting point. 6 step/dir channels and 3 MPG looks fine. I guess, digital I/O will work without any daughterboard. So this tuple looks nice but is lacking support for spindle control.
How can I add support for spindle speed?
7i80HD could drive 3 daughterboards, right?

The 7i73 looks really nice. I would like to go for one too. But how do I connect such a card to ... what? PC? or 7i80HD?
... and if I use multiple daughterboards, I'll have to create my own .bit files too - right?

I found two .bit files for the 7i80+7i52S: 7i80hd_16_svst6_6_7i52s.bit and 7i80hd_16_svst6_6_7i52sd.bit
What's the difference between them?
When I compare the PIN* files, some PLL registers apear in one, but no difference at pin configuration.

Is the xilinx design suite the only way to generate a .bit file?
I have to rip off my cloths for registration, abuse internet for huge download and flood my harddisk with unwanted software ... :(
... what a mess!

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds