NEED HELP AND OPINONS ON CNCLINUX WITH CNC MACHINE

More
26 Jan 2017 19:37 #86733 by StephenCNC
Hello Fellow Members,
I am a computer engineering student in college. My professor/head of the engineering department wanted to give a project to me to work on for him. This isn't required for class. He makes parts as an entrepreneur. He is using a CNC machine with CNC Linux. He uses a jog wheel, after he uses the jog wheel he has to look back at the monitor to see what its doing. He asked me if i can make monitor using a Raspberry Pi using CNC Linux. He wants the Raspberry Pi to show what the jog wheel is doing on a screen(Raspberry Pi) that is duplicating and sending data to the monitor that he used before. If that isn't understandable the screen he has on the CNC machine is far from where he is using the jog wheel so he is wasting time walking to the monitor after every movement of the jog wheel. So he wants me to build a monitor using a Raspberry Pi and CNC Linux that shows what the jog wheel is doing right in front of him then sends the data to the monitor. What I thought of is having the Raspberry Pi duplicate the monitor? PLEASE HELP WITH OPINIONS OR IF SOMEONE HAS DONE THIS.
Thank You For Your Time Guys = )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2017 20:01 #86734 by tommylight
Does he need only the DRO shown or the whole screen?
Having dro can be done with arduino and a smal screen, would be convenient and useful.
Having the whole screen is not good as the signal lags a bit throuhh network. You can use VLC to connect remotely , using a android phone or tablet or laptop.
Or you can find a nice smal monitor and connect it directly to computer with a long cable, this is best as there is no lag at all, you only need a computer or graphic card with 2 monitor outputs.

More
26 Jan 2017 21:01 #86736 by Todd Zuercher
Does he know he can buy these for not a whole lot of money (less than $80)

More
26 Jan 2017 21:16 #86739 by bevins

Where do you get that for less than 80.00?

More
26 Jan 2017 21:28 #86740 by Sparky961
I suspect Todd has the best idea, but if you must build something you might consider simplifying a bit. I'm assuming you only need the coordinates, plus maybe some other simple variables/parameters. In this case a Raspberry Pi is overkill, but does seem to be the de facto standard for building any custom hardware these days.

If it were me, I'd connect a serial LCD display to a small microcontroller development board. 6808's used to be my favourite because of the nice instruction set. PICs are useable, though never my favourite. There's much more information out there (or was, anyway). Then take your pick of the best ways exchange (or just output) data with the microcontroller. There's probably a variety of simple serial protocols you could use, or USB (ack...), or Ethernet (the latter two being overkill again). But hey, I might just be dating myself here too.... lol

There are lots of times that the wheel gets reinvented for school projects. Sometimes you have to re-invent the wheel in order to really understand it.

If he's making money with it, make sure you're well paid for your services. Its easy to take advantage of students with projects like these.

More
27 Jan 2017 03:32 #86761 by Todd Zuercher

Fleabay!
www.ebay.com/itm/like/231287974230?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

More
27 Jan 2017 13:31 - 27 Jan 2017 13:31 #86779 by andypugh
If I was building a jog-pendant as a project I would use a 7i73.

I already did part of it, just to test the drivers:
goo.gl/photos/Whs4f8iM8rYGer3C7

This has the advantage over the XHC USB devices that the commands go straight into the realtime layer, so GUI freezes are never a problem.

This is only an option if the machine is using Mesa hardware, though.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2017 13:31 by andypugh.

More
27 Jan 2017 15:13 #86785 by bevins

Fleabay!
www.ebay.com/itm/like/231287974230?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Ah! ok, the wired version. I have no use for the wired version, I need Wireless, so its about 94.00.

Thanks,

More
27 Jan 2017 15:25 #86786 by Todd Zuercher
Just to quibble a few dollars, but $85.79 for a wireless one. (with free shipping)
www.ebay.com/itm/like/140918851970?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds