A little surprised at the lack of activity.

More
23 Jul 2017 12:33 #96311 by joel0407
Just an observation. As far as I am aware there is only 3 software options for running a CNC machine. Oh and Arduino and Raspberry Pie. I still don't think that's much. Given the whole world only has 5 options, and I thought Mach 3 and LinuxCNC were the main 2. There isn't much activity here on the forum.

Does that mean everyone who uses LinuxCNC just uses a pretty generic setup which it just works for or are there other forums where it's being discussed more heavily. There isn't even a great deal of chatter with the developers unless they are chatting in secret?

Maybe people just get it working and don't touch it after that. From previous experience I know Linux is super stable.

I thought with version 2.8 coming along there'd by more discussion.

I'll be trying to get a CNC router going soon with 2 motors on one axis. Something that I thought would be quite common. I thought I'd ask the question and someone would just go "yeh easy, just do this, this and this". I thought would be quite common is using a parallel port. Rodw has helped as much as he can but he runs Mesa. I was advised early on that Parallel ports are a little old tech and I should probably look at something more up to date. I also read that Parallel ports have been working fine for the task for years and there's no reason they won't continue to work fine. I figured a breakout board was so cheap, I had not much to loose to give it a go and I could update later if needed. It's has surpasses my expectations already so I'll have to have a really good reason to upgrade.

Once I work it out I'll be creating a step by step thread on how to setup a 3 axis machine with 2 motors on one axis using a parallel port. It's something I think the forum really needs.

Happy Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2017 20:43 #96319 by rodw
Yes, the developers chat in secret. Not really, but there is a developers mailing list and an IRC chat which you can join.It does not really work well for me due to the time zone I live in. Anybody can join them.

What I have found though is that if you do find a bug, it gets picked up and fixed very quickly, sometimes within hours.

I think the best way to use this forum is to ask questions about your particular problem in the right section so the right people see it. The help I've had has been enormous from machine design. eg Search "Do you really need a spring loaded pinion drive:" through to Todd actually writing some cool HAL code to enable warning lights when I couldn't work it out. In return I've given as much as I can.

Activity seems to come and go but when you need help, the support is there but you do need to have a good attempt to solve it yourself..

I think the majority of machines are mills and lathes with a few interesting robots and hexapods thrown in. Not many people are using Linuxcnc on gantries. I have watched the documentation for Joint axes slowly come together while the bugs found have been quietly fixed.

Its a very different (but amazing) forum.

More
24 Jul 2017 01:47 #96329 by joel0407
Seems like just you me and Todd, Rodw.

More
24 Jul 2017 04:09 #96332 by Todd Zuercher
I try to read the forum more like a mailing list, looking at all posts from the Recent Topics tab. There seems to be about 15-20 new posts a day on average. If you consider that a lot or a little traffic, is subjective and up to you.

More
24 Jul 2017 04:55 #96336 by joel0407
LOL.

Funny that they only 2 people who've replied are the 2 people I've mentioned.

Are we the only 3 here?

More
25 Jul 2017 14:19 #96391 by jim-eng
I read recent topics almost every day. I have​ a 3 axis Mill that just works and am converting a lathe
The following user(s) said Thank You: joel0407

More
25 Jul 2017 14:22 #96393 by joel0407

I read recent topics almost every day. I have​ a 3 axis Mill that just works and am converting a lathe

I think that's it mate. For most people it just works and there is no need to ask questions. Also they can't help much with people that it doesn't work for as they haven't had the problems. Not that I'm having to many problems. A bit of my own fault as I'm jumping ahead and using 2.8 which isn't released yet. LOL

Happy Days

More
25 Jul 2017 17:30 #96402 by cncnoob1979
A lot of people come here to read each thread and comment when they believe they can help the topic. I try to read unread threads to see if I can help or to learn something.

I don't believe its a lack of activity but most people here are trying to set a basic configuration. Once that is complete they often wont be back for quite a bit, that is until they wish to do something more advanced. It is hard to ask questions when you don't understand enough to form a question to ask :)

Most developmental questions ect.. are asked in the mailing list and on IRC. Ask a question and you will see the help you would receive - as long as ;you are willing to put in the effort that is.

More
25 Jul 2017 21:18 - 25 Jul 2017 21:19 #96422 by aleksamc
Here is realy very nice forum. When I started to run my first milling machine and chose linuxCNC, I was very happy to find fast and direct response to my troubles.

As for me I use linuxCNC in basic configuration for 3+1 axis milling machine. And its enough for me. I even doesn't use any sensors and probes.

But It would be nice, as I think to configure few tables that will be mirrored to basic or fastly mirror any axis.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2017 21:19 by aleksamc.

More
25 Jul 2017 21:42 - 25 Jul 2017 21:44 #96426 by grump
I visit this board 3 or 4 times per day, often a lot more and read all new posts in the threads I have interest.
I also use 2.8 and have since it first appeared. I enjoy testing and bug searching (sad old man).
I do a fresh install probably 2-3 times a month to keep up with the latest developments and test them on my machine.
I only comment when I think I can help or need it and I think that's why people come here (for help).
If we all partook in inane chit chat the board would soon fill with it and make assistance harder to find.
The search facility is excellent, the answer to a given problem can often be found without asking.

I have a small 3 axis 3020T in a spare bedroom to which I have added a fourth axis and do lots of rotary engraving (military logos / insignia on spent shell cases).

There my contribution to the inane chit chat for what it's worth
Last edit: 25 Jul 2017 21:44 by grump.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds