SIMULATION MODE - How do I modify an existing creation into a simulation?

More
24 Dec 2017 01:50 #103513 by Askjerry
Here is the issue... I create a simple machine (using a paraport) and add to it a pyVCP or gladeVCP. Say that I want to share it, or have someone without a paraport take a look at it.

If I take that configuration... let's call it "My_Mill" and put it into another folder called "SIM_My_Mill"... what do I have to modify/add to the files/folder to make it run as a simulation?

Thanks,
Jerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2017 02:02 #103514 by cmorley
Jerry does your start page look like this?

Chris M
Attachments:

More
24 Dec 2017 02:07 #103515 by Askjerry
Attachments:

More
24 Dec 2017 02:14 #103516 by cmorley
ahh sorry.
What version of linuxcnc are you using - I thought this was in 2.7 bit maybe I compiled the wrong branch...
soo many version... :)

Chris M

More
24 Dec 2017 02:19 #103517 by Askjerry
AXIS version 2.6.13 is what I have now.
The synaptic package manager says it is the latest version... hummm... manual upgrade needed?

I gotta remember how to do that... right AFTER I back up all my stuff.

Jerry

More
24 Dec 2017 03:13 #103518 by cmorley
2.7 is the latest stable version but if 2.6 is working for you - you are not required to upgrade.
2.7 has the upgraded look-ahead trajectory planner.

Chris M

More
24 Dec 2017 03:45 #103519 by Askjerry
... and apparently the means to create a simulation...

More
26 Dec 2017 10:42 #103630 by andypugh

Here is the issue... I create a simple machine (using a paraport) and add to it a pyVCP or gladeVCP. Say that I want to share it, or have someone without a paraport take a look at it.

I think that parport configs will often start without the parport, but won't be able to home.

So often all you need is a [TRAJ]NO_FORCE_HOMING

The demo sim configs have simulated homes and simulated spindles but wiring the HAL up for those means that your config is no longer your config.

A more difficult problem is that I am not sure that an RTAI config will run on a non-RTAI kernel (a "uspace" config will run on any kernel)

More
26 Dec 2017 12:25 #103636 by cmorley
Since my laptop has no parport hardware, the parport module will not load - killing the linuxcnc session.
Stepconf can use a substitute module for parport, which really just passes the signals thru it to fake signals.
This allows the config to otherwise be the same - all the main signals and pins are the same.
It does add a HAL file that adds some extra components and signals to connect up fake limits (based on the INI file) etc
You could - in theory - connect a MESA card through the fake pins and run a stepconf config with a mesa card, but the idea was for it to be able to be run on any computer regardless of hardware.
It sould be as simple as ticking the box on the start page - of course if you have modified the config before you made a simulated one then that would be more difficult.

But it requires linuxcnc 2.7+ version

Chris M

Time to create page: 0.468 seconds