Downloaded LinuxCNC - Not showing

More
05 Feb 2018 15:09 - 05 Feb 2018 15:11 #105436 by shortcircuit48
Downloaded and then wrote separately to a SD card and a USB drive. I now cannot see the drives in the file directory. I can see them if I do lsusb. I can insert a clean USB drive and still it does not show in the file directory. Was attempting to run LinuxCNC as a standalone but it appears I have upset my pc.
Looks like a Mint problem? and any advise appreciated.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2018 15:11 by shortcircuit48.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2018 17:14 #105446 by tommylight
That is OK, it should still work when you boot the computer from USB.
If you still want to see the partitions you can install and use Gparted ( not recommended ) or go to Menu>Preferences>Disks . Do not try to add a partition or modify the USB in any way, as that would make it non bootable.

More
05 Feb 2018 17:34 #105449 by shortcircuit48
I was incorrect in that both USB sticks have had LinuxCNC installed creating my confusion? On start up I selected to boot from USB, even although I do not think I made them bootable. System boots up but into its normal partition and LinuxCNC does not show or do the drives. How can I gain entry into the USBs and the SD card to make them bootable/useable?

More
05 Feb 2018 19:30 #105458 by shortcircuit48
At the moment I am using Mint and do not wish to change to Debian. I baulked out of installing LinuxCNC in Graphical mode as i came to a point were partitions were being required. Last time I was here I lost all I had in Mint so am being very cautious. If I allow partitioning will Mint remain as is?

More
06 Feb 2018 21:05 #105505 by tommylight
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-or-deb?limitstart=0

That is a very detailed tutorial on how to install Linuxcnc on LinuxMint.
Also what is your native language ?

More
06 Feb 2018 21:35 #105508 by shortcircuit48
I am Scottish so language is english. I attempted to install LinuxCNC on Mint but got nowhere and gave up. I eventually wiped the disc and created two partitions one with Mint and the other with Debian and LinuxCNC and was creating files on Inkscape on Mint and then transferring them over to Debian with LinuxCNC and happily tested the files in demo..
Having given up with attempting to get LinuxCNC on Mint I tried to go the other way and put Inkscape on Debian but that turns out not to be possible if I wanted to use Gcodetools. All this results in me creating the two partitions which although cumbersome did work.
I followed the procedure to load LinuxCNC and thought all was good and well until I attempted to run the demo, resulting in the problem I am desperate to get help on. I created a file for a Gantry and followed exactly the instructions I used successfully previously but the program just fails to run. I am struggling to understand what I have done resulting in these problems.
Over and above I had problems with Gcodetools but was given excellent assistance and these now work. At the moment i am also getting help to sort out Inkcut which I had previously had running.
All the above are the part of my whole project and are interlinked so although I have spent a LOT of time I do not intend to give up as others use all these programs and there is no reason why I should not.
A bit long winded but hopefully you can see where I am going.

More
07 Feb 2018 02:02 #105515 by tommylight
Linuxcnc is quite easy to install on LinuxMint if you follow the tutorial linked in the above post.
On Debian you can install Inkscape just by typing
sudo apt-get install inkscape
and i do not understand your problem with gcodetools as it is included in Inkscape, so no need to install anything.
Best course of action would be to use the Debian stretch version of Linuxcnc found here:
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
You can use it as a live version and test to your hearts content or install it on HDD.

More
07 Feb 2018 08:18 #105518 by shortcircuit48
Right, I will take your advise and try and get LinuxCNC on Mint. I would be most grateful if you can assist me in the event of any hiccups as at the first error report I will stop

More
07 Feb 2018 10:28 #105522 by shortcircuit48
I ave started and all appeared to be going ok until New Kernal Install At "cat patch-4.8.11-rt7.patch | patch -p1" went round in circles with "cat patch-4.8.11-rt7.patch | patch -p1
The next patch would create the file Documentation/hwlat_detector.txt,
which already exists! Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n] n
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
can't find file to patch at input line 75
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
|diff --git a/Documentation/sysrq.txt b/Documentation/sysrq.txt
|index 3a3b30ac2a75..9e0745cafbd8 100644
|--- a/Documentation/sysrq.txt
|+++ b/Documentation/sysrq.txt
File to patch:
Skip this patch? [y] y
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
The next patch would create the file Documentation/trace/histograms.txt,
which already exists! Assume -R? [n]

Previously I would have ignored this and went on to next step which probably created my problems. Advice please Hamish

More
26 Feb 2018 19:42 #106556 by andypugh
Try answering "yes" to the questions?

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds