Burnt Out Inputs?

More
26 Feb 2018 23:35 #106582 by jeffreyguy
Burnt Out Inputs? was created by jeffreyguy
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and Linuxcnc, but I do have some cnc experience mostly with Mach3 and steppers though.I just bought a used cnc mill conversion and I got a pretty in depth demonstration before I bought it so I'm confident any problems are my doing. I had to take it all apart and disconnect the electronics to get it out of his basement, then when i put it back together in my garage I had some issues. I tracked it down to a false positive on one of the x axis proximity switches then tracked that down to a wire that had pulled out of a connection. Unfortunately when I was exploring that mess of wires I must have touched two together, there was an electrical snapping noise and now I have false positives on all my proximity (limit and homing) switches. Is it possible that I shorted power to one of the i/o pins and fried something in the mesa card? Is it possible that I could just plug them into different inputs and switch the pins around in pncconfig. I know I can just configure it to run without limit switches for now but Id really like to have them. Does anyone have a good video tutorial for pncconfig?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2018 00:21 - 27 Feb 2018 00:22 #106583 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Burnt Out Inputs?
Its possible but the 7I76/7I77 field inputs are pretty well protected so a random quick short to 120VAC should do no harm
Its a bit more likely you damaged the proximity switches than any 7I76/7I77 field inputs.

If you shorted power to a 7I76/7I77 _output_, that's very likely to cause serious damage
Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 00:22 by PCW.

More
27 Feb 2018 00:38 #106588 by jeffreyguy
Replied by jeffreyguy on topic Burnt Out Inputs?
I doubt I shorted it to 120v, that bundle of wires was just the 24?V for the proximity switches terminated on a soldered breadboard. I have one new spare proximity switch so maybe Ill wire that in to check it. All the proximity switches still light up red and go dark when a piece of metal is within their field as they usually do but all axis show a limit switch error and all show true in the HAL meter. I should probably add that its a 7i77 board with servos that were all working well until this lol

More
27 Feb 2018 06:20 #106606 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Burnt Out Inputs?
Are you sure that all your ground is stil connected right?

More
27 Feb 2018 08:04 #106607 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Burnt Out Inputs?

s it possible that I could just plug them into different inputs and switch the pins around in pncconfig. I

I am a relative noob compared to some. But I know that you cannot use pnconfig just to change a few parameters as it will over write your hal and ini files.

More
27 Feb 2018 13:34 #106616 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Burnt Out Inputs?
You can safely rerun PNCconfig or Stepconfig if you have not made any manual edits to your files.

If you have made manual edits, just backup the files you've made manual edits to, by saving them with a new file name or extension, then after you you've made your changes with the wizard you can redo your manual edits if you need to. (Sometimes it is nice to put all of your manual edits in a 2nd custom hal file rather than the main hal file, that way you don't have to redo things that the wizard may undo.)

More
27 Feb 2018 22:44 #106679 by jeffreyguy
well I'm still having issues so what do you guys think would be the easiest way to tell it to just disregard the limit switches so I can test everything else?

More
28 Feb 2018 02:57 #106683 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Burnt Out Inputs?
Are your prox sensors PNP or NPN? Mesa likes PNP and you need pull up resistors if you are using NPN. I wonder if your problems is a floating input?

2.2k 1W is ideal for a 24 volt system

More
28 Feb 2018 22:35 #106770 by jeffreyguy
Ok I think I sorted it out, I wired in a new proximity switch and it worked fine, then I ran a wire from the signal pin of the proximity switches to an input on the board one at a time. 5 of the 6 of them would not produce a signal so I likely shorted them out and ruined them somehow. I learned a lot about the HAL configurations though!

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds