Mesa 5i25 pci card pc won't boot

More
03 Mar 2018 14:10 - 03 Mar 2018 14:12 #106876 by Desertboy
Hi I just bought a Mesa 5i25 pci card when I install it the pc will not boot, I have only 1 pci card slot in this pc and it boots and runs fine with a Parallel port PCI card but swap to the Mesa and machine doesn't boot.

I can see a light flash red on the 5i25 when it first powers up.

I will try this in another desktop pc of course but can't until Monday but as I said the PCI slot works fine with a PP PCI card. PC is a core i7 with pci express x16 slot (With a gpu fitted) 2 PCI express and 1 pci slot.

Is this a dead Mesa card or what else should I try?
Last edit: 03 Mar 2018 14:12 by Desertboy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2018 14:45 - 03 Mar 2018 14:49 #106878 by PCW
There are certain motherboards (maybe about 1/2 a %) that the 5I25 will not work in , as far as
I can tell its BIOS related but i've never been able to track it further than that. If you have the motherboard
spec I can try and find one and test, most have been pretty old and obscure so hard to find.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2018 14:49 by PCW.

More
03 Mar 2018 14:57 - 03 Mar 2018 14:58 #106879 by Desertboy
I'll get the motherboard specs tomorrow PC is ~4 years old but I will just try in another desktop pc I have bunch of them kicking round at work but forgot to take my usb stick to work so couldn't do fresh installs of linuxcnc and didn't think I could just see if it booted.

Wish I'd brought the card home with me to try in my home desktop now.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2018 14:58 by Desertboy.

More
05 Mar 2018 22:21 #106991 by andypugh
I have a PC that won't boot when the 5i25 is in a right-angle riser but will when it is directly in the slot.

I bought a few risers from eBay until I got one that worked.

You didn't say anything about a riser, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desertboy

More
09 Mar 2018 06:10 - 09 Mar 2018 06:11 #107137 by Desertboy

I have a PC that won't boot when the 5i25 is in a right-angle riser but will when it is directly in the slot.

I bought a few risers from eBay until I got one that worked.

You didn't say anything about a riser, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I have 2 pcs it won't boot in (What are the odds of that lol) they have different MB in both PC's but both are RM education PC's I wonder if they've done something to the PCI bus in the BIOS as I tried in 2 other pc's and they boot fine with the card in. When I say won't boot no vga output, no post beeps and fan goes into high speed after 2 seconds. No keyboard lights.

I haven't managed to flash it yet but hopefully today.

I don't use risers.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2018 06:11 by Desertboy.

More
09 Mar 2018 09:30 #107139 by andypugh

I have 2 pcs it won't boot in (What are the odds of that lol) they have different MB in both PC's but both are RM education PC's I wonder if they've done something to the PCI bus in the BIOS

In a rather odd coincidence my LinuxCNC test mule is an RM Education PC (RM-One all-in-one) and that boots with a panoply of Mesa cards (5i25, 7i80 on ethernet, and a parallel-port PCI card with a 7i43 hanging on it) so I don't think that RM have done anything wierd.

More
04 Apr 2018 10:25 #108365 by Desertboy
I've got another PC it won't boot in (Another RM Education), PCW if you want the motherboard, CPU & memory I can send them to you for your own testing.

I found 3 pc's so far it won't boot with all 3 of them RM although 2 of them have the same MB.

More
10 Apr 2018 13:58 #108740 by Desertboy
I've discovered that it's not a MB issue it's a psu issue. I have several psu's it won't boot with but all the machines boot fine when I use my 80 plus PSU.

The machines work fine without the card in it but with the card they don't even post but change the psu and they boot fine.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds