Mesa and 3d printer questions

More
19 Mar 2018 15:33 #107547 by kb8wmc
Several months ago the latency went wacky on a friend's 3d printer...The printer had been working properly for a couple years prior so he purchased a Mesa 5i25 card and installed it in his computer...All went well to get motors and limit switches working properly but heat controls was and still is a problem...A few months ago he had another friend take the computer and printer home to work on getting the heat system working...It will heat but there is no control of the heat, it is either off or on without limiting by the control...

The system uses a component designed by Anders Wallin (frequency2temperature.comp), which has worked flawlessly up to the time of installing the Mesa 5i25 card...I am quite sure that there is nothing wrong with the Mesa card so I believe that the problem of control lies somewhere in the setup, most likely HAL configurations...Here is what is working related to heating...

Using the custom control panel check box labeled "PID" to turn the heat on and off to the bed and hot-end works properly...The "measured frequency", "Degrees C", "PID Output", and PWM Duty cycle" do not provide any output to the control panel...The "Temp Set-point" slider bar functions but does not act to limit the temperature probably due to the above functions not working...

I am attaching what I believe to be the pertinent files...The man who worked on them over the last few months has edited them down so that what appears there relates only to those functions that involve heating control, there is little if nothing related to motion control to make it easier to view and print hard copy...I have attached only the files related to the hot-end as I believe that we can learn and change what is necessary from the hot-end and modify the related heated bed files...

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated...I do not have the printer machine available, so I will request him to make responses and direct questions to the forum...

Thanks in advance...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2018 16:46 #107550 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa and 3d printer questions
I would approach this by tracing the temperature control signals with halshow,
starting with hm2_5i25.0.encoder.00.velocity

At a quick glance I dont see that the encoder scale is set anywhere
and this might be an issue since the encoder count mode 1 uses the B input for count
direction, so the frequency might be a negative number

More
19 Mar 2018 20:08 #107560 by kb8wmc
Thanks PCW
I have passed along the information to the man that is working on it so he can reply...

More
03 Apr 2018 15:48 #108318 by kb8wmc
PCW
Changed what we believed are the appropriate files to follow your instructions as best we could understand your directions, but we still had problems...So in the interest of getting the machine back to the owner of the machine as soon as possible we abandoned the attempt to use the 5i25 to control the heat functions of the machine...Instead we reverted back to using the previous setup which has always worked well to measure and control the heating process, leaving the 5i25 to control only the motion for the axes...
This is not a problem with the 5i25 as much as it is with a lack of knowledge of understanding all that is necessary to get all of the hal files set up properly, that is, what files and commands are necessary to cause the 5i25 to control the inputs and outputs controlling the heating of the machine...At our present limited level of knowledge we are unable to achieve that control...
Efforts will continue to accomplish the goal, in all probability without the machine or just intermittent access for testing when possible...We would be interested in your comments and any suggestions...I personally have the feeling that once we get this figured out and operating properly it will probably equate to one of those "well that was simple, I should have known" type moments...
Thank you in advance

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds