Zenbot/Gecko/LinuxCNC?

More
04 Apr 2018 03:12 #108356 by jandyman
Replied by jandyman on topic Zenbot/Gecko/LinuxCNC?
Fun fact. A few years ago we travelled around the world for a year with the kids. We were in Bangkok about a week. So we went to the upscale shopping mall, where I discovered that most of the laptops for sale were Linux machines. And therefore cheaper, of course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2018 03:39 #108357 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Zenbot/Gecko/LinuxCNC?

@rodw - ifconfig doesn't even show an adapter present. And on boot it complains that eth0 cannot be found.

Bear in mind Wheezy is a couple of versions behind so it is a bit like trying to get Windows XP installed on a machine designed for Windows 10 if your laptop is newer. Compatible drivers may never have been written. This is what drove me to get Linux Mint installed becasue I could not get driver support for Wheezy or Precise. After that everything worked straight out of the box. USB Wifi, Touch screen, video, it all worked plug and play.

More
04 Apr 2018 13:31 #108371 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Zenbot/Gecko/LinuxCNC?

But the laptop has been working fine with Mach3 and I really don't want to buy another computer.

I have naver had any problems getting any Linux machine to work with a wired ethernet connection. I have had a bit of a struggle with wiFi but that has always been fixed with config (_not_ with drivers. The one device I found with a completely undetected WiFi hardware I just gave up on)

All my other machines are Mac, except for little stuff like the BeagleBone black

I do the vast majority of my LinuxCNC development physically sat at my Mac. I run in VMs and various headless machines littered around the house.

I have idly considered trying to get LinuxCNC to compile on the Mac. It should be possible, just about.

More
04 Apr 2018 14:16 #108372 by Todd Zuercher
I think your best bet for a relatively painless installation on your laptop, would be using Stretch. But I think you've already tried one of the Linuxcnc live Stretch ISOs, So I doubt this will be of much hope, but here is what I think I would try.
Install Debian Stretch (9) using Debian's Net Install ISO. With the net install I think you can choose to install the most current Preempt-RT kernel and the desktop environment of your choice. Then install Linuxcnc via Buildbot using Synaptic. I did this not long ago in a VM for testing some things and it seemed to work well. (Obviously you must install on bare hardware, because you can't run a real machine with Linuxcnc using a VM.)

Since you said that you were having networking problems when you were trying the Linuxcnc's Stretch iso that may not be a viable option.

More
04 Apr 2018 14:42 - 04 Apr 2018 14:43 #108376 by jandyman
Replied by jandyman on topic Zenbot/Gecko/LinuxCNC?
I'm mostly providing information for information's sake at this point, since there are too many barriers and therefore I've decided to go with UCCNC.

Having said that, I seem to remember than an Ubuntu ISO at least saw my wired ethernet HW. So I think the "problem" is with the LinuxCNC ISO.

I do need wireless to work on this computer and I checked on the Toshiba site and there seem to be no wireless driver there. I probably should have checked this before I set out on this LinuxCNC investigation. But I'm not sorry for the time invested. I'm glad I learned what I learned, and if I find myself with a different set of requirements down the road, I may be back.

I thought the probing window for Axis was pretty trick. If this were part of the standard install and a few very minor tweaks were made to Axis, it would be a pretty good UI IMO. I'd recommend that for promotion of LinuxCNC. And trying Gmoccapy in a number of graphics environments to fix up the scaling problems. Some of my friend's biggest complaints about LinuxCNC had to do with the difficulty of creating UIs (as compared to UCCNC), so having the default UIs be good is all the more important. These are just my opinions of course and they are mentioned in the spirit of wanting LinuxCNC to be as successful as possible.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2018 14:43 by jandyman.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds