Small scale proof of concept machine X and A only.

More
28 Mar 2018 09:43 - 28 Mar 2018 10:17 #108028 by Nitram
Hello.

I am putting together a small scale proof of concept machine before going full scale.

It is only a two axis machine, with X driving a ballscrew for linear motion, and an A axis (a rotary axis, with the axis of rotation parallel with the X axis, in fact the A axis rides on the X axis table). In this way, the machine is much like a regular mill, minus the Y and Z axis and no spindle.
The X table and A rotary axis move together and essentially create a horizontal helical movement.

I have steppers, 24V 3A with ball screws, couplers, bearings and mounts for the task. For this proof of concept project, additional I/O controls (for pneumatics or coolant etc) are not necessary.

My questions are:
1. Within the specs of the steppers (3A 24V) what Mesa cards are suggested? I'm sure there are numerous combinations available.
2. Purely as a starting point, I think that for stepper motor driver a 7i30 (two channel) should work given the motor specs above?
3. to continue from that starting point, will a 5i24 (PCI) work with the 7i30? The 7i30 manual states that about the only PCI card which will work together is the 5i20, but based on price a lower cost option would be preferable for this stage of the scaled project.
4. Will it be an issue for linuxcnc to have only two axis, one linear one rotary?
5. As long as the configuration is correct, should linuxcnc be able to work these two axis in helical harmony e.g. with say a G33.1 (rigid tap) using this G code to command harmonized linear (X) and rotary (A) motion (however named)?
6. When flashing the PCI card will a standard XYZA config be OK and in practice simply not use YZ axis or perhaps reorder the naming of the axis' to make it work i.e. X staying as X, but labelling my A axis the Y axis and defining it as a rotary axis in the HAL/INI file?
7. Again, I suspect there are other combinations which may be preferable to the above?

Thanks for all the input!

Kind regards,
Marty.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2018 10:17 by Nitram.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2018 16:06 #108035 by PCW
The 7I30 is a DC servo motor drive, not a step motor drive

For a simple test system I would probably just use some low cost step motor drives and a parallel port

More
28 Mar 2018 18:09 #108045 by Nitram
Yes, quite right, the intent was to ask whether the 7i32 would work with a 5i24 or whether it had to have a 5i20.
Sorry for the confusion.

More
30 Mar 2018 19:47 #108124 by andypugh
The 5i24 can do anything that the 5i20 can do, but more cheaply. (As far as I know).

I don't see a 7i32-specific firmware for either of them, and the cards seem to need pwm and dir inputs. So you probably need PCW to advise which firmware is available.

More
30 Mar 2018 23:51 #108156 by Nitram
Good to know, thanks Andy.
I will likely be using something along those lines for the final iteration, for the small scale version I have taken Peters advice and am using a parallel port based controller/drivers.
Thanks for the guidance.
Kind regards,
Marty.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds