Can I use the DRO like a manual DRO?

More
29 Mar 2018 14:57 #108069 by stioc
Hey guys, after a few weeks of running LinuxCNC I have a couple of questions. If I go to the DRO tab (Axis is all I've tried) I don't see a way to set it to zero wherever I want (without rehoming). I'd like to be able to do this so I'm doing anything manually. Is there a mid-point function etc available in the DRO mode?

Speaking of doing things manually...I believe I saw in the quick reference something to that effect, the F3 key if I recall. What does that do? I think I tried it but I didn't notice anything change or do differently.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2018 17:36 #108078 by Todd Zuercher
In axis that is done with the "Touch Off " button. With it you can zero the selected axis for your chosen work coordinate system. (It can also be done with G10 commands)
The following user(s) said Thank You: stioc

More
29 Mar 2018 19:36 #108081 by DanMN
If you're going to be doing manual work on a CNC, will you be using a MPG pendant? If so, you could program buttons on that to touch off whenever you wanted to zero a position, rather than reaching for a mouse.

More
29 Mar 2018 23:10 #108088 by stioc
Thanks Todd! Of course, I've done that many times for z axis never thought for the DRO I could use it to do the zero'ing. I'll try that. However, what about the mid point function etc? is that there?

Lastly, what's the F3/manual function do?

@Dan, yes possibly a pendant down the road once I figure it out with the mouse first. This is for random odd/small jobs where a neighbor says 'hey can you bore this hole out .125?"' Rather than drawing it out etc I can just jog the bit over and do it quick. In fact, I did just do exactly that but I ended up using my existing Yuri's DRO since I couldn't figure out how to use the DRO tab like a real DRO. Are there any good pendant recommendations btw, that don't break the bank?

More
29 Mar 2018 23:52 #108089 by DanMN
I have strictly manual bench lathe with a Yuri's TouchDRO on it currently - fantastic system. My only CNC machine today is my small router -- but the ballscrew kit for my mill actually arrived TODAY, so I'll be in the market for a pendant in the next month or so. No recommendation at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stioc

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds