IGaging Magnetic Scales, Yuri's TouchDRO & LinuxCNC

More
01 Apr 2018 17:56 #108222 by DanMN
Looking for experience and comments on the feasibility of my rough idea...

I'm converting an LMS 5500 (Seig SX2.7) bench mill to CNC with the following:

1. Ball screws from a machine-specific kit that have more backlash than I'd prefer (but I'm stuck with them for now)
2. An existing setup of Yuri's Bluetooth TouchDRO interface board with IGaging magnetic scales and a 9" tablet for display
3. A headless Raspberry Pi3 controller running LinuxCNC
4. An MPG pendant for using the mill manually on a regular basis

There will be no display at the machine for Linux CNC, it will be controlled from a PC across the shop. I'll have dedicated program start/stop and touch-off buttons on a control panel at the machine.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone used these magnetic scales as encoder inputs in LinuxCNC? The sparse comments in the forum here are old and if anything, indicate the scales may be too slow. I'm curious if anyone has implemented these on a "slow" machine and succeeded. My systems will not be doing anything high speed for sure.
2. Is anyone familiar with the Yuri's interface board and whether it might be capable of sharing the DRO signal to both the TouchDRO display and LinuxCNC?
3. Is there anything about this approach that immediately fails a basic sanity check?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2018 12:15 #108297 by andypugh
Are you using the scales for closed-loop positioning?
If not, then you might as well ignore them for LinuxCNC.

If you are using them to close the position loop then I wouldn't trust Bluetooth.

I have converted a lathe/mill combo, then a mill, then a lathe. For the first two machines I carefully retained manual capability. With the lathe I didn't bother, having realised that I had never used the manual capability that I so carefully engineered-in.

More
03 Apr 2018 12:50 #108301 by DanMN
I guess the first question is: has anyone used iGauging-type cheap Chinese scales as closed loop position feedback hard-wired?

Ideally, I was hoping to share the signal coming from scales to feed position to a Mesa card (hard wired) for closed loop, and maintain the existing tablet display via Bluetooth. The scales connect to the Bluetooth board via mini-USB, so I'd have to create a physical split - if the approach could even work.

For now I definitely need manual control, since I'm dependent on some fixtures that will require a lot of R&D to replace with anything automated. I do get what you're saying though - don't engineer-in crutches without a reason.

More
03 Apr 2018 13:00 #108302 by andypugh
You can't close a loop through USB. (Or, at least, it is likely to be unsuccessful).USB allows multi-mS delays whereas LinuxCNC relies on fresh data every 1mS.

More
03 Apr 2018 15:21 - 03 Apr 2018 15:21 #108311 by DanMN
The connector is USB, but the protocol is not - it's a distinct 21-bit protocol all its own. I've looked at some of the project notes at Yuri's site and it gives the pinouts as 3.3V, Data, Clock and Ground. I was hoping someone had investigated this in Linuxcnc, even if they hit a dead and. I have the system and I'd like to use it in the refit if possible. It's not what I'd buy if starting from scratch, but since I've got a few hundred dollars in it and no other use for the equipment I figured I'd ask around.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 15:21 by DanMN.

More
03 Apr 2018 15:35 #108314 by andypugh
Data Clock and Gnd sounds like I2C, but might possibly be SPI.

You could try connecting it to the LinuxCNC MAX31855 HAL component to see if anything comes back (it will be gibbersish, without changes to the component as the data format will be different)

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man9/max31855.9.html

You can experiment with both SPI and I2C with an Arduino:
www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Wire

It could also be SPC. (I see that iGaging sell micromoters with the SPC interface. In fact that seems most likely.
www.matronics.com/cncscale/DiagramRev2.pdf

More
03 Apr 2018 15:39 #108315 by andypugh
Reading SPC with Arduino:
forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=79174.0

Not that I am suggesting using an Arduino in the final setp, but it is a handy place to experiment.

(Though if you want to simultaneously connect to a PC to monitor what is happening inside the Arduino then you will need something with two serial ports)

More
03 Apr 2018 15:43 #108316 by DanMN
Thanks for giving me those links - very helpful. I'll spend some time on it this week and see what I can learn.

More
04 Apr 2018 11:43 #108367 by mungkie

Thanks for giving me those links - very helpful. I'll spend some time on it this week and see what I can learn.

There was a machinekit driver for beaglebone and rpi for all those cheap scales, but I would guess those scales arenot suitable for what you want (do not let that discourage you from trying though! ).

you will need level converter (I think the scales have max tolerant of 1.2volt input), its a simple serial protocol (there are about 5 variations of the protocol), you will need to bitbang the data from 2 gpio pins via some amplifier.

its very slow (update at about 3Hz), seems there are errors from noise if using any length of cable above 100mm(I found would get a good readin with filtering once every 2 seconds with a 2m cable)

I could post links but I really do not have the time, google will giver plenty details if you search for the right keywords.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanMN

More
04 Apr 2018 14:44 #108377 by DanMN
Thanks for the additional keywords - that should get me going.

Also, according to a post I just found on Yuri's blog, the scales I'm using have a clock of 2KHz and 250 Hz refresh -- so they may be a bit more useful than the older, cheaper version. They are the " iGauging DRO+ " scales.

I believe Yuri has also given the recipe for the level converter here

I'll be checking it all out this week.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds