Stepper failure vs latency?

More
01 Apr 2018 22:43 #108236 by jensor
Recently, as I was making a rapid move (Y axis), I hear the stepper motor buzzing normally, when suddenly the buzz turned into a zing and the motor froze. Of course now I'm loosing steps. My solution was to slow that axis down, but then it happens again. The last time it did that, I checked it by moving 1 step at a time, and found that after 4 steps in one direction, on the next step it jumped back to the original position. Thinking that the motor failed, I connect a working axis cables from a working axis to the problem axis and found the problem followed the cable.
Eventually, the fix to that problem was to reboot the computer.

But still have the same intermittent problem.

If the latency requirements were violated in the setup, would that bring about this sort of malfunction? - That the computer would go into funk and straighten out upon reboot?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2018 23:46 #108241 by tommylight
What type of drives? Motors? What amperage is set on the drives and what can the motors handle?
What you explain is for sure failure of one of the MosFet transistors in the drive, a cut in one of the cables or a cut inside one of the motor windings.
The first issue can be on Bipolar or Unipolar drives, the two other issues can be only on unipolar drives.
This can also be the cut of one of the input pins on quadrature input drives, not on step/dir drives.
Check the wiring and connectors first.

More
02 Apr 2018 00:19 #108246 by jensor
Replied by jensor on topic Stepper failure vs latency?
Motors are unipolar rated at 6 amps and 240 oz-in. Driver output is set for 5.5 amps.
Cables and connectors are fine. I failed to mention that I found one of the phases of the quadrature phase input coming into the motor driver from the parallel port had failed and rebooting the computer is what fixed it. The next time it happens that's what I'll try again. I'm wondering if exceeding latency limitations would cause the computer to go funky.

More
03 Apr 2018 13:02 #108303 by andypugh
Maybe something went in to thermal protection and a reboot cleared the fault?

Is it possible to test whether disabling / enabling the drive clears the fault?

More
04 Apr 2018 02:01 #108344 by jensor
Replied by jensor on topic Stepper failure vs latency?
Just slowed the rapid moves to 40 ipm on X axis and 36 ipm onY axis on the Bridgeport mill. I also increased the base thread in the ini file from 50000 to 150000.
I'll see if the problem arises again with these settings.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds