Machine and Linuxcnc not communicating

More
25 Apr 2018 22:25 #109618 by javelin
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Yes I am brand new to this so its probably something simple.

I used Pncconfig to get a machine configured and once done I can start up linuxcnc. I then toggle the machine power (F2) to begin trying to test the machine yet nothing happens. For example, if I attempt to job any axis it will show on the live plot that it is moving but on the actual machine there is nothing.

I also checked my limit switches and through the hal show there is nothing despite me holding a piece of metal up to a switch and getting the LED light to light up on the switch iteslf. This may be a separate issue than the axis not jogging.

Any ideas of where to point me on hunting down solutions on this not communicating?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2018 22:31 #109620 by tommylight
On the second screen in Pncconfig untick the "create simulated something or another".
Do you have Mesa cards? If not, run the Stepconfig wizard.

More
26 Apr 2018 00:20 - 26 Apr 2018 00:21 #109624 by javelin
I unclicked it and nothing. But yes I am using a 7i76e.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2018 00:21 by javelin.

More
26 Apr 2018 01:04 #109625 by PCW
If you are running a pncconf created configuration for the 7I76E
and you can jog the axis without error, you _are_ communicating.

can you post the results of running

halcmd show all > all.txt

when linuxcnc is running

(post all.txt here)

More
26 Apr 2018 17:14 #109673 by javelin

File Attachment:

File Name: halcmd.txt
File Size:28 KB

At this point the physical machine will not move on any axis despite the software showing that it is. I as thinking I may be in some kind of mode where its software only, or..... I really screwed something else up.

I am back to playing with it today. I will let you know if I discover what happened. If you could take a quick look at the txt file I attached you may can spot what I have done, or not done.

Thanks
Attachments:

More
26 Apr 2018 17:33 #109676 by PCW
You have quite short step time settings (1 usec) most step drives will not even see step pulses this short.

I would set the step times to 5 usec and see if that makes a difference

More
26 Apr 2018 17:59 #109678 by javelin
That did it! Thanks again for your help. Its at a snails pace but thats all fine for now. Im glad to see it moving.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds