How to turn off homing sequence in running program?

More
23 May 2018 13:45 #111059 by Grotius
Hi,

if i startup linuxcnc, then i press home all. Then the machine is homing to the bot'h x as sensors. The machine has 2 x-axis motors
After that sequence is done, the gantry is ready to go.

Problem is : every time you startup linuxcnc you need to do this sequence. But it is only needed after powering up the system.
So when machine is 6000mm long, homing sequence takes a lot of time and is not necesery for plasma machine.

So i want to turn off the homing sequence because i only need it once a day to refer the gantry motors on x axis.

Is there a nice way to change the hal file line from HOME_SEQUENCE = -2 to HOME_SEQUENCE = 0 in running program?
Or is it better to make a separate linuxcnc homing program, and after that startup linux without the homing needs?
What is the best way?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2018 14:49 #111083 by andypugh
I suspect that you are not talking about the "Volatile Home" INI entry?
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-co...s__lt_num_gt_section

I think that you do need to home every time as LinuxCNC has no way to know where the axes are when you restart it (it doesn't remember).

You could avoid homing altogether if you had absolute encoders...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
24 May 2018 19:46 - 24 May 2018 19:51 #111095 by Grotius
Hi Andy,

Yes it has to do with the INI file.
But i think that the Homing sequence parameters cannot be changed or reloaded while linuxcnc is running, because it's a ini file parameter.

Maybe idea for future linuxcnc developpers. If we make the homing sequence possible with mdi command's it would be much easer
to change parameters when program is running. In the Ini entry, nothing can be changed easy...

A quick solution was to make a second ini file (copy) with homing sequence disabled. So then you start linux again and you can choose for other startup icon with no homing. But nicer is to do it with mdi, then also beginner users can understand and use this tricks.

Ps. i looked at your youtube channel. You are very clever and handy i see !!
I am almost ready with a high precision plasma machine running on linuxcnc. It wil be my first linux machine.
I hope to shoot some video's and pictures for the linux society !
Last edit: 24 May 2018 19:51 by Grotius.

More
29 May 2018 12:08 #111253 by andypugh

A quick solution was to make a second ini file (copy) with homing sequence disabled. So then you start linux again and you can choose for other startup icon with no homing.

Now why have I never thought of that?

My machine uses resolvers so is single-turn absolute. I have configured it to save the current position to disk on exit. Then on startup I have a HAL component that offsets the resolver feedback by the (calculated) number of full turns assuming that no axes have moved.

This works well, in conjunction with the HOME_ABSOLUTE_ENCODER option in the development version of LinuxCNC
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-...t__lt_num_gt_section
(Is that any help to you? I think I forgot to mention it earlier).

But, sometimes, my system breaks down (for example if the system doesn't get to write the positions to file on shutdown) and I have to run a homing sequence, which I do by editing the INI file and putting up with 4 following-error shutdowns as the offsetting component makes adjustments. But I really ought to be able to make a special "rescue homing" INI file to make this less painful.

More
29 May 2018 14:01 #111262 by PCW
You can change some ini entries when LinuxCNC is running , but idle
(at least home,home_offset and home_sequence are available as ini pins
unfortunately the home velocity pins are not available but needed for immediate homing)

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds