linuxcnc with lubuntu

More
04 Jul 2018 00:34 #113356 by chefmech66
so I an considering buying a bobscnc machine and running it with linuxcnc .
im totally clueless so here it goes,
Do i need a designated laptop for running this software? is it preferable to putting the program on a general purpose machine?
for a complete linux based system what linux os is the best for the most trouble free linuxcnc install and operation?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2018 01:02 #113359 by InMyDarkestHour
Welcome to the madness :)

Forget the idea of a laptop is the advice I would give to a new user. Hopefully someone will chime in with some recommendations for suitable second hand desktops they have had success with.

Linuxcnc does not talk to grbl, or any usb controller due to realtime contraints, so you will to decide to use either a Parallel port or Mesa hardware. And as far as I know none of the chinese ebay motion controllers or smooth stepper hardware.
A Link to Mesa:
www.mesaus.com/

Regarding the most trouble free way, the official iso is the way to go for using the Parallel port, a few extra steps are required for use with Mesa hardware, but it is not difficult if you can follow simple instructions. But more about this later...actually it may even be beneficial to ignore the Mesa reference to begin with in this paragraph.

I hope this isn't too confusing to begin with, please feel free to ask more questions.

More
04 Jul 2018 06:41 #113392 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic linuxcnc with lubuntu
You can use older laptops, namely the IBM thinkpad T40 or T41 or T42 as they do have a parallel port, they have decent and stable latency once you disable some useless stuff in the bios and they are built like a tank. Also the X60 works perfectly but it needs a docking station if you want parallel port.
In case you go the ethernet route, you would need one of the Mesa cards like 7i92 or even better 7i76E if you are using steppers, that would greatly expand the type of laptops you could use.
Avoid new laptops, they are useless for anything CNC as they tend to have way to many power saving features.
As a side note, it is irrational to use a laptop for a machine that is not portable, but i still tend to use them a lot.
From the desktop side, any older Dell enterprise version would do just fine, especially the optiplex series with pentium 4 or pentium d or core and core2 types of processors. At 30 to 80 Euro a piece, it is a bargain.
To start using Linuxcnc you can download 2 versions of it, the
www.linuxcnc.org/linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso
That it used with a parallel port or Mesa or Pico systems hardware, or
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreem...uspace-amd64-r10.iso
That works with all of the above and ethernet.
You can download and follow the instructions for making a bootable USB stick and you can test them as much as you like even with no hardware attached.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InMyDarkestHour

More
04 Jul 2018 08:34 #113397 by InMyDarkestHour
If you create a bootable USB stick in windows, stick with Win32diskimager, as this does the same thing that the dd utility does in linux. Other windows utilities can be somewhat of a problem.

sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds