Linux + Fusion360

More
11 Jul 2018 15:57 #114014 by islander261
Hello

Has anyone out there gotten Fusion360 to run on a virtual machine with Linux as the host OS and some flavor of Windows as the guest OS? Please share the details of your configuration. Can you please share the Linux distro, video card and Windows version you are using?

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2018 12:48 #114053 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Linux + Fusion360
No. I haven't done either of those things, but I am going to answer anyway :-)
I do run Inventor in a VM on my Mac. It runs passably, so I wouldn't expect too much trouble with Fusion.

To confuse matters the VM I use is VMWare Fusion. So I could try running Fusion under Fusion.....

It is possible that the browser version might help you (though I am not sure how to get in to that, I just see videos showing) forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-previe...started/td-p/6932699

More
12 Jul 2018 14:17 #114061 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Linux + Fusion360
Andy

Thank you for the reply. I applied to be a beta tester for the web version of Fusion360 but was not selected.

I have heard rumors the you needed to use the VMWare products (Workstation in this case) to successfully run Autodesk products. I am looking for confirmation of a working setup as I am not a Linux or software wizard.

John

More
12 Jul 2018 14:52 #114064 by InMyDarkestHour
Replied by InMyDarkestHour on topic Linux + Fusion360
I found this: (using paperspace not sure whether this would suit)
joshschertz.com/2017/08/09/Run-Fusion-360-in-Ubuntu/

The issue with VirtualBox seems to be the limit on GPU memory (256MB can be used via some hocus-pocus).

More
12 Jul 2018 15:32 #114069 by islander261
Thanks for the reply.

I was not aware of services like Paperspace, I will have to check with my local ISP to see if they can support it.

I have seen else where but don't remember where that VirtualBox will not run Fusion360 and that you must use one of the VMWare products (with plenty of memory).

John

More
12 Jul 2018 22:38 #114093 by InMyDarkestHour
There have been reports of Fusion360 being run but due to the max GPU memory the rendering has been funky/not that great.

VMWare Player (free) can run the required windows versions, the ability to run Fusion360 would depend I guess on your particular hardware setup.....It's been many years since I've "played" with any VMWare products, so I really can't comment on it's setup.

Another option maybe to install windows\fusion on a second pc and use something like remote desktop to actually work at your Linux PC.

There are many options but it would really depend on what you have available, your situation and what you want to achieve.

More
13 Jul 2018 00:37 #114096 by islander261
Thanks, I should describe what I think I want to do more clearly. I was trying not to influence the replies.

I have an old 32bit XP box that is my main desk machine. I do all my artwork (Inkscape), design work(ProE, AutoCAD, SheetCAM) and communication from this machine. I want upgrade to a newer system, one old box I have (DELL T3400 with X3370), and most likely 64bit LinuxMint. I want to get away from the Windows needing new SW every three years thing. I want to use Fusion360 as a replacement for AutoCAD and ProE.

I actually have an old Win7 corporate box that they have never asked for back that I have experimented with Fusion360 on so I know it works. I don't like to use it because it isn't actually mine so I leave no personal stuff on it.

I am really intrigued with the approach of using Paperspace to host Fusion360 because it has the possibility of saving me all the Linux video card hassles.

John

More
13 Jul 2018 02:05 #114100 by InMyDarkestHour
Paperspace would be a good alternative then.

Hopefully it would free you up from all the windows maintenance as well. :)

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds