Is this doable in LinuxCNC?

More
18 Jul 2018 22:06 - 18 Jul 2018 22:07 #114499 by thatguy
I want to make sure that LinuxCNC can do this before I go to far down the rabbit hole. I am very tech savvy (though clueless about Linux as of yet) so I'm pretty sure I can get it done if there are existing developments in Linux that support it.

I want to do a SCARA arm with a Plasma torch with THC and a Z that can operate independent of the THC.

Can LinuxCNC handle this?

EDIT:
I'm sure there will be some config that I need to do, but I also want to make sure I'm not going to find myself doing a ton of development to get this done.

Thanks
Last edit: 18 Jul 2018 22:07 by thatguy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2018 01:57 #114509 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Is this doable in LinuxCNC?
The fact that its on a Scara arm makes no difference to plasma. With regard the plasma part, its all doable. The easiest path would be to use an external THC but some of us are working on pid based THC using a Mesa THCAD card for torch voltage sensing. We just have not locked down a config suited for public use. HAve a look though the plasma and Laser section and my towards my Spaceship Plasma thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: thatguy

More
19 Jul 2018 02:16 #114511 by andypugh
SCARA has been done many times

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=linuxcnc+scara

THC has been done many times too, don't be put off by the discussion here on _optimal_ THC.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thatguy

More
23 Jul 2018 13:02 #114702 by thatguy
Replied by thatguy on topic Is this doable in LinuxCNC?
Thank you both for confirming that.

More
23 Jul 2018 14:04 #114705 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Is this doable in LinuxCNC?
Hi Thatguy,

I advise you to instal the linuxcnc stretch iso 64 bit. This version is compatible with draftsight, see link below :
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreem...uspace-amd64-r10.iso

If you are running a 32 bit linuxcnc version, this will aslo work very good, but draftsight is not supported for 32 bit.
Sheetcam is running also on 64 bit. So good !

If you startup linuxcnc you can choose a configuration out of a list. The Toma thc works very good, the manual for this controller is also to view at the Proma website. Your configuration also depends on what you are using as break out board.

Builing the optimal thc discussion is confusing to new users. I would prefer that forum admin changes the name into something like development section to avoid mistakes ....
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds