All Axis work in Stepconf, but not LinuxCNC

More
02 Sep 2018 23:23 #116999 by brosskgm
Having a real odd problem after re-installing with 12.04 32bit and starting from scratch with LinuxCNC

When running 10.04 all worked fine for couple years. Motherboard has build it Parallel port. Tried to install on system that I had to use a PCI Card or a PCI-e card and both failed.

lspci -v does not see Parallel port 0x378

When running Stepconf all the axis respond as expected in the test. When I start LinuxCNC it does not give the machine power toggle even after loading a file.

The CNC machine is a 3020T I use for my hobby Circuit boards.

Thanks for any help in this.
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2018 02:27 #117001 by PCW
0x378 is not an option for plug-in PCI/PCIE parallel port cards
I would suggest
1. Try 0 as an address (this means use the first parallel port found by the OS)
2. If 0 does not work, find the actual base address of the parallel port card with lspci
The following user(s) said Thank You: brosskgm

More
03 Sep 2018 02:39 #117002 by brosskgm
Thanks for your reply. I will try 0 if I try it in the system with no parallel port.

I'm aware 0x378 is not PCI or PCI-e I programmed in the actual port 0xdc00 and the PCI-e was listed as a serial port. I did mention I tried to install on system that required the cards. Neither card work.

But going back to the Motherboard that has a built in Parallel 0x378 and installing clean with 12.04 -

When I run stepconf all axis works when a test is run before Done. But when Linux CNC is run it does not gives the power toggle is what seems odd and hoping someone else has had the same problem.

Didn't want to go back to 10.04 if I could help it. Bad enough 12.04 is now no longer getting updates. We run 18.04 on all our other Laptops and desktop systems.

More
03 Sep 2018 05:26 #117004 by tommylight
On the second screen, remove the check at "create a simulated......."

More
03 Sep 2018 12:54 #117008 by brosskgm
I started a complete re-install again. I will check that.

Thanks for your reply.
Bob

More
03 Sep 2018 13:29 #117009 by Todd Zuercher
Another tip, If you configured your drives to use an enable/disable signal. Step config does not actually send that signal when testing. Then when you try to start Linuxcnc the signal will be sent, often disabling the drives. Try inverting those signals.

More
03 Sep 2018 17:59 #117019 by brosskgm
Tommylight - Saw this. This is not selected by default. Never clicked it.

Thanks
Bob

More
03 Sep 2018 18:00 #117020 by brosskgm
Todd,
Not sure where this would have been set. I let Ubuntu do all the settings. Where would I check to see if it is enabled?

Thanks
Bob

More
03 Sep 2018 19:29 #117024 by brosskgm
Thanks to all of you for your help. Nothing seems to be working. I think the old motherboard does not like 12.04 or it's on it's last leg.

I'm going to stop for now and give up on this install. It's not critical to get running.

I'm going to buy another Motherboard that has the Sata ports for non IDE drives and a built in Parallel port and see if it all comes together.

Thanks
Bob

More
03 Sep 2018 21:50 #117027 by tommylight
On the parallel port pin selection screen, tick on the "amplifier enable" where it says "inverted".
That is what Todd proposed to change and that should do the trick, as you seem to be using drives that are enabled by default.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds