All Axis work in Stepconf, but not LinuxCNC

More
03 Sep 2018 21:58 #117029 by brosskgm
Thanks, I'll check that. I was using the same IDE Drive I was using with 10.04 that was working but it started showing very high latency (200,000) with the old motherboard.

I also wanted to update to the some what newer version and newer MB. Figured it was time.

Thanks again.
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2018 22:08 #117031 by tommylight
You might want to check that maybe that hard drive is causing that latency, most probably due to it failing of old age.
Get a USB drive, download the linuxcnc iso and make it bootable from USB, test the latency, chances are you will get quite usable numbers. That might change upon installing it on the hard drive, hard drives have high access times and cause spikes in latency due to using interrupts........ long story.

More
03 Sep 2018 22:16 #117033 by brosskgm
Ok thanks. I'l give that a try to see what happens.

When I pluged that IDE hard drive in the system that needs a parallel card it's latency is 12321 but the PCI or PCI-e cards never worked at all.

The Sata hard drive latency was 10894, but the cards never worked.

Thanks
Bob

More
03 Sep 2018 22:46 #117034 by brosskgm
The USB might not work so easy. I use remote desktop on the CNC machine computer so I don't need to worry about a keyboard, monitor etc. in the corner of our garage.

I recall the Debian install didn't have share desktop and couldn't locate it to try, so went back to ubuntu.

I'm going to get a new motherboard with built in parallel and sata ports to use a better drive, more DDR3 memory etc. The old board has 2 GB and it's not even DDR2 mem,

Been working for the last few years with 10.04. After 1/2 dozen clean installs, switching system, last week, I might have it easier to upgrade anyway.

More
04 Sep 2018 12:24 #117050 by Todd Zuercher

I use remote desktop on the CNC machine computer so I don't need to worry about a keyboard, monitor etc. in the corner of our garage.

I recall the Debian install didn't have share desktop and couldn't locate it to try, so went back to ubuntu.

There are several VNC server programs that can do desktop sharing that are available in Debian's repositories, They don't come pre-installed: you just need to install one via Synaptic or Apt-get and then configure it.

More
04 Sep 2018 12:53 #117051 by brosskgm
Ok thanks, I'll look again, most on my previous search were listed for Debian 8. Their version used was 7. I'll install Debian again on the better system & drive and see if it recognizes the parallel card.

Thanks
Bob

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds