Linuxcnc porting problem

More
04 Sep 2018 06:37 #117043 by myz
Linuxcnc porting problem was created by myz
I want to transplant linuxcnc to a real-time operating system like vxworks. Is it difficult? What needs to be done? Can i remove the GUI?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2018 09:29 #117046 by mungkie
Replied by mungkie on topic Linuxcnc porting problem
Very interesting question,

Almost impossible to answer.

I depends upon what RTOS you are using and what api it supports, I know nothing about vxworks so doubt I am of any help.

I started working on some stuff that could put some threads on different sections of bcm processors using threadx but gave up very quickly after trying to reverse engineer their boot.bin and having legal problems.

I am sure it can be done but don know if it is economically worthwhile.

Check all the code in github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/master/src/rtapi and see what needs hooking into the bitop and common code etc...

The base linuxcnc code pprobably could be reasonably easily compiled but the build script often fail due to the huge dependencie burden for the higher level GUI apps etc.

It will take you a fairly long time to get to grips with the code base to workout how to compile just the base level RT code without using a debian system (I would suggest compile it with minimal dependencies on debian then hack apart the makefiles and transfer to your vxworks devel system).

I wish you luck, I assume the more RT kernel support options linuxcnc has the better it could be :)

More
04 Sep 2018 10:38 #117047 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Linuxcnc porting problem
As far as i can recall, that RTOS ( there are several RTOS versions ), but Wxworks is based on windows, and that is the main reason i never bothered with it. It was a long time ago, and i never looked back since i bumped into Linuxcnc ( named EMC2 at that time ).

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds