Which Linux vesion?

More
17 Nov 2018 16:20 #120903 by JohnnyCNC
I'm looking to add a touch screen and I have read that it may be better to use a newer version of Linux. So, I think I would like to try Linux Mint with Mate, LinuxCNC 2.7 and Gmoccapy. Right now I'm using the standard 2.7 Wheezy distro using Axis. I'm going to start with another drive or SSD so that I can keep my mill running while I go down this path. Does this sound like a good plan or is there some other combination I should try? I'm not too concerned about the look of any of this I just want it to work with the touch screen.

My hardware is a ECS J1800 MB with 4GB ram, Mesa 6i25+7i76. I'm looking at a Capacitive touch screens from Planar and ViewSonic.

Next I want to give 2.8 a try and get into programming changes. I am a programmer by trade, not CNC but in the Windows Visual Studio world along with another old and obscure language. I like the looks of the BrendaEM screens and could possibly help with that project.

Thanks
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2018 15:53 #121001 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Which Linux vesion?

along with another old and obscure language.

COBOL? FORTH? Ada? Do tell :-)

More
19 Nov 2018 16:10 #121003 by JohnnyCNC
Replied by JohnnyCNC on topic Which Linux vesion?

along with another old and obscure language.

COBOL? FORTH? Ada? Do tell :-)

It's called Databus . I like C/C# better and knowing those makes Python pretty easy.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds