Paralell port mode: AT, PS2, EPP, ECP, DMA...?

More
06 Feb 2019 12:21 #125798 by FridgeFreezer
Morning all, can anyone here tell which is the "preferred" mode to set your parallel port for best results?
My BIOS (Dell Optiplex 760) offers the following:

AT, PS/2, EPP, ECP no DMA, ECP DMA1, ECP DMA2

Ordinarily I'd assume ECP+DMA would be "best" but that's for data transfer, not accurately timed pulses, so can anyone point me the right way?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2019 13:21 #125802 by tommylight
For normal use as a parallel port, that will do just fine. For some types of Mesa and Pico boards that use parallel port as a communication bus it has to be set as EPP.
I always set mine to ECP.

More
06 Feb 2019 14:09 #125811 by Todd Zuercher
I think the best choice depends on what you are connecting to it.
For normal breakout board connections, I thing the best choice is usually the PS/2 (or Bidrictional, or SPP they are all the same) setting.

If you are using a Mesa card or Pico, then you have to use EPP.

That said many parallel port hardware implementations are slightly messed up. Which setting is chosen can (sometimes) make a difference in things such as which pins can be used as inputs or outputs and whether certain pins are pulled high or low (for example X-mode usually only works with the PS/2 setting). So try all and which ever works best for your hardware is the one to use. Of course they could all work equally well, and then it doesn't matter.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds