Spindle index with proximity sensor = bad results

More
07 Feb 2019 08:19 #125910 by emcPT
I have several machines running linuxcnc, where all have spindle motors with encoders or encoders directly mounted in the spindle. I never had a problem with synchronised motion or threading.
My last retrofit have a proximity sensor on the spindle, where it is ON about 20% of a turn. I have seem posts where users use proximity switches, so I suppose they are suitable for this propose.

Machine is fully working except threading as the thread does not start always on the same position - it can start almost half turn away.

I have the proximity switch connected to a encoder index input on a 7i77 using non differential mode (one wire only). The idea that I have is that the proximity switch is slow or maybe because the ON status is larger than what is needed?

At the same time I think that it is only important the rise of the signal, but I can be wrong here.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2019 09:46 #125912 by emcPT
Some update.... it looks like the proximity switch is not constant... need to investigate more.

More
07 Feb 2019 10:21 #125914 by rodw
In some tests I did on prox switches mounted as home and limit switches, the repeatability was +- 0.3mm with the sensor passing over the target. I did hear that the prox sensors are more accurate if they approach the target head on but in my case they would crash while coasting to a stop.

So they may not be the best shaft sensor.

There are some nice looking encoders that are designed for the spindle to pass through which I had in the back of my mind if I ever built a lathe.

More
07 Feb 2019 17:20 #125935 by Mike_Eitel

More
07 Feb 2019 17:48 #125936 by emcPT
The problem was in my electronics. I used a voltage divider to get from 24V to 5V with 2.9K and 1K resistors. When the sensor was "off" instead of having the desired 0V on the input of the Mesa, I was getting about 1.6 V that gave false positives. I think because the 7i77 have some pull up scheme. Adjusting the voltage divider, no false positives, so all is working ok now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
07 Feb 2019 19:34 #125946 by PCW
The 7I77 has 2K pullups on its encoder inputs so you need to have a low value divider (or use a NPN prox and the built in pullup to 5V)

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds