Lathe w/Gang Tooling, tool change?

More
07 Mar 2019 14:55 #127980 by matt_mcd
Hello

I'm new to gcode etc but have been around CAD/CAM a long time. I'm "fooling" around with learning gcode and making some small parts...
I have set up a lathe with a 3 gang tool post and have my program working fine.. I have done some searches on here and haven't found what I'm looking for other than maybe a clue of some kind of subroutine I may need.

But - my question is - I want to advance past the manual input of hitting "OK" on the tool change pause (since all tools are loaded and the offsets are saved in the tool table etc etc).

Is there a way to change the tool on the fly without the pause?

Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2019 15:53 #127985 by pl7i92

More
07 Mar 2019 16:05 #127989 by andypugh

But - my question is - I want to advance past the manual input of hitting "OK" on the tool change pause (since all tools are loaded and the offsets are saved in the tool table etc etc).

If the tool table is all set up and everything is working other than a pointless tool change prompt then you just need to remove the hal_manualtoolchange from the HAL file.

change
net tool-change hal_manualtoolchange.change iocontrol.0.tool-change 
net tool-changed hal_manualtoolchange.changed iocontrol.0.tool-changed
net tool-prep-number hal_manualtoolchange.number iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number

to
net tool-change  iocontrol.0.tool-change  iocontrol.0.tool-changed

More
07 Mar 2019 16:11 #127990 by pl7i92
dont forget the toolchange position G30 to set in ini

More
07 Mar 2019 17:37 #128008 by matt_mcd
Thank you!

So let me throw a curveball into this.

If I want to actually stop and change a grooving tool out (tool #3) before my last operation for a cut off tool (tool #4)

Is there also control in the HAL file for a specific tool #? Is that the 0 after iocontrol? (Admittedly- I need to research the HAL file more.....)

More
07 Mar 2019 19:21 #128017 by andypugh

If I want to actually stop and change a grooving tool out (tool #3) before my last operation for a cut off tool (tool #4)

I think that this might be possible. You would need to do something clever with the distinction between tool numbers and pocket numbers.

And then have something in the HAL that pops up the hal_manualtoolchange box only if the tool currently in the requested pocket isn't the one you want.

More
13 Oct 2019 05:16 #147788 by Scot
I've been trying to grasp the G30 command and how it works. Can you explain it for me? I'm a bit lost on what it's used for.

I'm trying to set up 2 lathes with gang tool slides and I've heard that this Gcode is necessary or unexpected and potentially catastrophic action can happen.

Thanks in advance.

More
14 Oct 2019 08:03 #147860 by andypugh

I've been trying to grasp the G30 command and how it works. Can you explain it for me? I'm a bit lost on what it's used for.
I'm trying to set up 2 lathes with gang tool slides and I've heard that this Gcode is necessary or unexpected and potentially catastrophic action can happen.

Bear in mind that G30 does not necessarily do the same thing on all controllers.

This is what it does with LinuxCNC:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g30-g30.1

Also note that LinuxCNC can be configured to do a number of things on tool change by parameters set in the INI file, see
section 2.12 here: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-co....html#_emcio_section

With a milling machine it is nearly always safe to retract the tool straight up (one exception would be a dovetail cutter). With a lathe you probably need to be sure that your G-code puts the tool in a safe place prior to any automatic tool change sequence moves, be that a retract to G30 or a "quill up" (which is a Z retract on a lathe)

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds