Spindle Synchronization to pick up existing threads

More
12 Mar 2019 13:25 #128433 by stegrg
Hello,

I'd like to try to pick-up on existing internal threads on a part I'm machining using the G76 (or a programmed version of G33 if necessary) threading code and cut them deeper after failing my first attempt. Is there a way to run one pass to visually see how well it lines up to existing threads, pause the program, jog the x or z axis to compensate, and then run another pass or continue without losing synchronization? I'd appreciate any support.

Regards,

SG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2019 14:12 #128434 by andypugh
If you let the threading cycle start and then stop the spindle (for example by setting the spindle speed override to zero) then the spindle and tool will stay in synch even as you rotate the spindle by hand (assumign an encoder with a reasonable number of teeth).

You can either then move the work in the chuck, move the tool in the toolpost or (the tedious way) change the threading cycle start point and try again.

When I have had to this I have turned the spindle speed down to zero, then stopped the machine (to allow jogging) then loosened the work in the chuck, jogged the X deeper in to mesh with the existing thread without rotating the spindle and aligned the thread to the cutter by feel. Tighten the chuck, back the cutter back out again and re-start the cycle.

More
12 Mar 2019 14:36 #128436 by stegrg
So even if I stop and start the threading program (or open a new program with the same pitch), it won't lose spindle synchronization? It will start cutting at the same location assuming I don't change anything?

Does that mean Linuxcnc initiates threading at the same spindle encoder pulse count whenever a threading program is started and it keeps that value in memory as long as Linuxcnc is running?

More
12 Mar 2019 14:39 #128437 by andypugh
The threading cycle starts at the encoder index pulse.

As long as you don't change the spindle speed every thread, every time, will have the same relation to the spindle index position.

(You probably don't want to run CSS when running the threading cycle)

More
12 Mar 2019 14:56 #128440 by stegrg
Ah... OK, that makes sense.

Thanks for your input. It's much appreciated.

More
13 Mar 2019 05:59 #128488 by Richard J Kinch

So even if I stop and start the threading program (or open a new program with the same pitch), it won't lose spindle synchronization? It will start cutting at the same location assuming I don't change anything?

Correct, the system is as consistent and repeatable as the given homing basis. If the homing is consistent/repeatable across sessions, then the action will be too. Since in your case the spindle angle is homed from the spindle index, precisely and absolutely, this makes it consistent/repeatable across sessions. If the other axes, fixtures, toolholding, and workholding are likewise precisely/absolutely homed, then the whole works remains consistent and repeatable across sessions, including shutting down and cold-starting the machine.

If you lose the homing on the workpiece (such as you take it out of the fixture), then you have to somehow home it again, such as by "touching off" in the case of linear axes, or by in effect "touching off" (usually spoken as "picking up") the phase timing of threads in the case of threads. This "picking up" is executed by either manually rotating the workpiece in the fixture, or tweaking the Z touch-off, while you microscopically inspect the threading tool point against the previous thread work. It's no different than linear touch-offs, just trickier because it involves the angular C axis interacting dependently on a linear Z axis.

More
13 Mar 2019 08:12 #128494 by pl7i92
if it is setup as you say it will only fail if the mashine powers off
but there is a manuell way to step into the tread
if it is that bit to work on 2 Days

You shoudt always finish operations like this in one Flow

More
13 Mar 2019 10:21 #128498 by andypugh
This video here shows someone picking up a thread with LinuxCNC.
He starts a threading move with the spindle off, then rotates the spindle by hand, moves the work in the chuck, continues to spin by hand for a full pass and then engages the clutch. (if you have a clutch then it is rather easy to start the cycle without the work turning)

More
13 Mar 2019 15:36 #128528 by stegrg
Thanks everybody for the feedback. I managed to get it synchronized and cutting again this morning.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds