X Coordinate Lags MPG Encoder

More
17 Mar 2019 22:22 - 18 Mar 2019 00:02 #128860 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic X Coordinate Lags MPG Encoder
Very strange, I would expect a lot of complaints if this problem was widespread
so the question becomes: what is unique about your configuration

Have you widened the X following error limits so you never get a following error?

Do you have a hal/ini file set that exhibits this issue? (with backlash = 0)

I can try to duplicate with 2.7.14

EDIT

Ok, tried your hal/ini files with 2.7.14 here and I cant test everything since I dont have a MPG, but there is some odd behavior just
with the axis jog + and - buttons. On X axis as long as you press the +, or - jog button, the graphic window is frozen until
the button is released (completely frozen, the tool tip doesn't move either). Once the button is released, the display is updated
This does not happen with Y or Z.

However, this seems to be specific to your hal/ini file set, I cannot duplicate this behaviour with my hal/ini files. With my hal/ini files
X,Y,Z behave normally (display is updated continuously on X,Y,Z jogs)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2019 00:02 by PCW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2019 23:54 #128863 by tommylight

How stable is 2.8?

Stable enough to run production machines for quite some time now. Never had problems with any of them, one is an ESAB Plasma that was 12X2.5 meters but it got shorted to 4 meters, running a very early version of 2.8 with joint-axis support as it has two separate servo drives and motors on the gantry.

More
17 Mar 2019 23:56 - 17 Mar 2019 23:57 #128864 by tommylight
Also you have this missing in the HAL file, axis X section
setp pid.y.maxerror .0005
Of course the Y should be X.
Last edit: 17 Mar 2019 23:57 by tommylight.

More
18 Mar 2019 00:16 - 18 Mar 2019 01:26 #128867 by BigBird
"following error limits"
I have tried both narrow (FERROR = 0.5 MIN_FERROR = 0.05) and wide (FERROR = 0.5 MIN_FERROR = 0.05) error limits, but this did not affect the X commanded position coordinate behaviour.

"Do you have a hal/ini file set that exhibits this issue? (with backlash = 0)"
I have provided the .ini and .hal files in the original post (#128700) and later in post #128844. The first set has the MPG in it and the second set (#128844) is a fairly generic output from Pncconf without the MPG. This demonstrated that the problem was present even in simplified .ini & .hal files.

I've just seen your edit to your post. You are experiencing something different from what I have seen, but they do share an anomalous behaviour on the X axis. Can you send me your .ini & .hal files so I can do a line by line comparison?

EDIT
"wide (FERROR = 0.5 MIN_FERROR = 0.05)" should be wide "(FERROR = 5 MIN_FERROR = 1)"
Last edit: 18 Mar 2019 01:26 by BigBird. Reason: Corrected following error limits

More
18 Mar 2019 00:22 #128868 by BigBird
tommylight,
Thank you for your opinion on 2.8. Not sure I want to go there yet, as I have my hands full with other things right now and learning how to install 2.8 might take up too much time. But if things don't go well with 2.7.14, I may have to go to 2.8. On the other hand, the problem might just follow me into 2.8 and I'd be no further ahead.

I'll look into "setp pid.y.maxerror .0005". I didn't know that was required/recommended. I tried it, and it didn't fix the X coordinate problem, but I assume you didn't intend it as fix anyways.

More
18 Mar 2019 00:37 #128870 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic X Coordinate Lags MPG Encoder
Here is your initial hal/ini file modified so it will run on my test hardware (jogtest.ini and jogtest.hal)
plus a generic ini/hal file set

jogtest exhibits the X jogs not updating issue but my generic file (7i96.ini & hm2-pidstepper.hal) set does not

File Attachment:

File Name: jog.zip
File Size:9 KB
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2019 00:52 #128871 by BigBird
Thank you. I'll have a look at the files you sent tomorrow and I'll let you know what I find.

More
18 Mar 2019 17:48 #128912 by BigBird
I understand that, with your files, you did not experience any lag in the commanded X coordinate. I compared your .ini & .hal files to mine and noted all the differences. Then I updated your files to match the Mesa card I have (my 5i24_16 vs your 7i96) and changed the gpio pins to match my configuration. Unfortunately, I am still seeing the delayed updates.

A few posts ago you said "I would expect a lot of complaints if this problem was widespread". It might be under reported because few people look at the commanded X coordinate. After all, the system is keeping track of the jog clicks, its just not displaying them consistently so maybe most people view the actual instead of commanded position.

The value of looking at the commanded position is that I can verify that the MPG or jog +/- input via the Axis user interface is working. Through this investigation, I have learned that halshow can display variables (mpg-out, hm2_5i24.0.encoder.04.count and hm2_5i24.0.encoder.04.rawcounts) that demonstrate that the system is keeping track of the MPG input correctly. That means I can proceed with my original plan: 1) get the MPG working (done) and 2) tune the servo motor.

As you suggested, there is probably something unique about my configuration or system. Until I find a solution, I can always click in the Preview Window to make sure X is displaying the correct commanded position or I can use halshow to display relevant variables.

Thanks for your help!!

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds