New to LinuxCNC Waterjet Cutting

More
05 Apr 2019 12:38 #130334 by sburton86
I work at a small machine shop that has a DIY waterjet that was built and set up by someone who no longer works at the shop and we are unable to get his help understanding how he was running it. I have figured out the basics and have cut with the machine. I am a novice with CAD/CAM but have taken dxf files and created tool paths using Fusion360. I have only been able to load and cut files on our water jet that I have created using 2D countour operations. I either cannot get it to post process using the cutting operation or after it is post processed linuxCNC won't recognize the file when I try to load it onto the machine. Am I wrong in assuming that this is something that needs to be changed in an .ini file? Any help would be appreciated and I apologize in advance if this is a stupid questions but LinuxCNC is still very foreign to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2019 12:46 #130336 by andypugh

I either cannot get it to post process using the cutting operation or after it is post processed linuxCNC won't recognize the file when I try to load it onto the machine. Am I wrong in assuming that this is something that needs to be changed in an .ini file?

I doubt that this is a LinuxCNC problem if some files work and some don't.

What is the error given? Perhaps the G-code created contains Z moves and that is confusing matters?

You might find SheetCAM to be a better fit than Fusion for creating files for a waterjet (Available for Windows and Linux)

Also, many users use Gcodetools in Inkscape for plasma / waterjet. (Free, open source, all platforms)

More
08 Apr 2019 10:38 #130491 by pl7i92
Watechat and sheetcam shoudt go perfect
as 2D only needed and Linuxcnc workes gread on that g-code
can you provide a file that dident make it to the screen

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds